1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

1 person likes this.
  2. hennree

hennree Senior member

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow, I just learned that the new 8 speed gearboxes are fixed ratios, and you can only change them once a season. That's very interesting, so you will basically go to Monza with the same gearing as Monaco. I suspect the cars wont get past 6th gear in Monaco.

I actually like the move, seems like it should optimize cars for certain races, and should spread wins out across more teams.

1 person likes this.
  4. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

What about the rear diff / final drive? Is there wiggle room there?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. sugarbutch

They won't be satisfied until F1 is transformed into GP1. Even kart racers are allowed to change their gearing to suit the track.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I take it Brother Butch doesn't like the idea.

7. sugarbutch

Nope. The spend is not the problem with F1. The problem with F1 is the commercial-rights holder (Bernie & Co.) and the obscene amount of money they take out of the sport. Max made a horrible deal when he sold the rights. They compound this situation by giving more money to Ferrari (who don't need it) and not paying the last-place team AT ALL. And the second-last team has to wait a year to get their payout. It's good, old-fashioned bullshit. There is zero reason for money to be an issue at all. I think they should reserve 20 percent of the annual revenue for prize money, distributed on a performance-related basis, and then split the remaining 80 percent in 22 equal shares for the FIA, the CRH, and each team.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Force India first to unveil. Damn nice looking car. So nice to see those sloped noses again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Apparently the nose wont be so welcoming from a head on view

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Why? Is it very narrow?

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Uff. Look at that.

[​IMG]

12. sugarbutch

Not nearly as bad as some of the early projections suggested.

13. xudisco07

xudisco07 Senior member

My wife and I are going to the Montreal Grand Prix this year, but not sure where to sit. Anyone have recommendations?

14. sugarbutch

The hairpin seems to be a very popular spot, but there's also the grandstand 12 at turn 2. (Why 12 at 2? No idea.) You get a great view of the start action and turn 1 is a passing spot throughout the race, too.

1 person likes this.
  15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

YEah I sat at the hairpin during the 2007 race. Directly across from where Robert Kubica had his big crash. We also saw Takuma Sato in the Super Aguri begin to get a run on Alonso prior to a very popular overtaking move (w/o DRS!). I went again in 2013 and did GA. Much harder to keep track of what was going on (harder to see TVs and no Kangaroo service) but so much cheaper.

16. rosiehan42

rosiehan42 New Member

Tires do look small to be fair.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I've sat at the hairpin as well. Its the best spot on the circuit.

I recommend, if you go for 3 days, to walk the circuit, its narrow so easy to go from one spot to the other. See the track from different angles. I don't believe its there anymore but a great spot was just past turn 3, the cars would get within feet of you. Bring earplugs if you go there, the noise is shattering.

Unfortunately you won't get those past engine notes, the new engines don't sound as nice.

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You're looking at demonstration tires. Wait till photos from testing to see the real thing.

Apart from paying good money for grandstand seats, I'd say the three practice sessions are the best time to walk the track. You should try to go to one of the viewing areas and see (hear!) the cars up close. After the race, walk the track and if you can go to the main straight so you can see the cars on their way to parc ferme and the mechanics break down the garages. At Montreal last year we caught Red Bull staff taking post-victory team photos; David Coulthard, Eddie Jordan and Martin Brundle wandering around asking for interviews; Michael Fassbender (a guest as part of his work for the upcoming "1" documentary on F1), Sergio Perez came out for photos; mercedes mechanics threw goodies to the crowd. After all that, the BBC team put us in the background for post race wrap up (we probably got on TV though I never saw the footage), I got a close up photo of Damon Hill and autograph of my ticket (which I promptly lost), and my friend unwittingly chatted with Johnny Herbert for about 10 minutes on our walk out of the park. I can post pictures of most of this if any are interested in them.

19. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Senior member

I once watched the race from grandstand #2 and it really sucked. The cars were going to fast to really enjoy the race and the sight of the people in the VIP area that were not interested in the race was pathetic. On the positive side is nice to be there on Friday and Saturday to see the action in the garage.
    If you cannot get airpin tickets, then grandstand #33 is also nice