• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Masi has to go. That was a major fuckup he he had only letting the 5 lapped cars go through.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who the hell knows if this is a reputable news source, but I think this is an agreeable compromise. Let Max and RB keep a title they deserve, give Mercedes a measure of recompense, and put the proper accountability on the man who fucked everything up.

Story may be true, but the Daily Express is pretty close to the Sun/Star/Mirror on the gutter press ladder.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Masi had done enough to deserve sacking before Abu Dhabi.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Masi has to go. That was a major fuckup he he had only letting the 5 lapped cars go through.

And changing his mind about letting them through in the first place. They burned a lap or two behind the safety car before he changed the call.

Schwazer

Reaction score
And changing his mind about letting them through in the first place. They burned a lap or two behind the safety car before he changed the call.

"It's called a motor race."

"We went car racing."

The guy is out of his depth.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It's called a motor race."

"We went car racing."

The guy is out of his depth.
Pretty much. He went against the precedent set earlier in the year and basically painted the ending of the season as a giant controversy. If Masi would've said no lapped cars through, ended under SC, or red flagged it while debris was cleared, fans would've accepted that.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. He went against the precedent set earlier in the year and basically painted the ending of the season as a giant controversy. If Masi would've said no lapped cars through, ended under SC, or red flagged it while debris was cleared, fans would've accepted that.
That would have been a perfectly reasonable (but less exciting) outcome. I’ll never understand why the decision went so much against the typical conservative mindset of minimizing an advantage to any particular racer.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would have been a perfectly reasonable (but less exciting) outcome. I’ll never understand why the decision went so much against the typical conservative mindset of minimizing an advantage to any particular racer.
This.
All of this foolishness could have been avoided, by observing precedent.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In hindsight, it’s pretty amazing that Hamilton was about to win the WDC despite what might fairly be characterized as a dominant year for Verstappen. Really, the only weakness in his approach was his pass-or-crash wheel-to-wheel tactic. If he’d been more reasonable at Silverstone, Lewis wouldn’t have been able to get a look in.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a fascinating conversation with my sister over the Abu Dhabi finale last week. Note she does not follow F1 closely as she did not watch the race and heard about the results afterwards - she does watch the Netflix series. She was pretty disgusted at how it played out. I still am not all that fired up about how things played out though I recognize Masi/F1/FIA emphasized entertainment over sport but I am more respectful of how bad the outcome was for the integrity of the sport if casual fans/observers are disappointed. She even said this will stain Verstappen's record (everyone knows the rules were changed on someone's whim just so he could win). This is arguably worse than the Michelin scandal at Indy (2006?) and I never thought that was possible.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In hindsight, it’s pretty amazing that Hamilton was about to win the WDC despite what might fairly be characterized as a dominant year for Verstappen. Really, the only weakness in his approach was his pass-or-crash wheel-to-wheel tactic. If he’d been more reasonable at Silverstone, Lewis wouldn’t have been able to get a look in.
nailed it

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Can't forget that Verstappen got a free win as Spa.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe. Can't forget that Verstappen got a free win as Spa.
He did, but I don't think that even a Hamilton fan (*raises hand*) could argue that Lewis was sure to beat Max in that race given that he was outqualified by more than .3s. As it was, Max gained five points versus the seven or eight he would have gained had he won the race, so that farce may have benefited Lewis. Of course, Lewis could have prevailed.

It is, however, another undeniable example of Masi's incompetence.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did, but I don't think that even a Hamilton fan (*raises hand*) could argue that Lewis was sure to beat Max in that race given that he was outqualified by more than .3s. As it was, Max gained five points versus the seven or eight he would have gained had he won the race, so that farce may have benefited Lewis. Of course, Lewis could have prevailed.

It is, however, another undeniable example of Masi's incompetence.
Wasn't that huge gap from a tow that he got from Perez while Lewis elected not to get a tow?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads