1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Good for Daniel. Hope JEV isn't shafted like the other TR drivers.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This is pretty badass. I thought those tires were on fire the whole lap, but its really just the inner edge with camber. They only seem hot in the corners...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ha! I just about to post my screen cap of a similar shot:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The section at 3:22 on is pretty awesome. I wish they would expose the glowing exhaust on the cars.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ha ha, Alonso.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  6. sugarbutch

The worst part of Vettel's continued success is that Red Bull will be able to focus on 2014, making it more likely we'll see more of the same next year.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I cant understand why the commentators were talking about great racing today. I didn't see much of it.

I don't know if I've ever seen a more boring race leader than Vettel. He just creates a gap and manages tires. F1 is looking more like endurance racing without, well, the endurance. He has no incentive whatsoever to go fast. Once the pack settles, nobody behind him is going to risk their tires trying to hunt him down. Its become rather shitty racing because unless you have better tires you'll never attack anyone.

Next year will have more to do with engines. Hopefully Merc eeks out an advantage and is able to combat the Red Bull aero package. I have not heard much about what Renault is working on. Honda is going to be on the back foot by not getting in strait away next year.

F1 needs Honda and at least 1 other engine supplier.

LOL at Alonso's explanation for his comments above. The guy is just revolting.

8. sliq

sliq Senior member

bring back refuelling, get rid of DRS zones, have at least 2 tyre manufacturers and scrap the bullshit overtaking rules. this will make F1 more enjoyable to watch.

9. sugarbutch

Refueling is not worth the safety risk.

Vettel drove away, but that's only because his teammate sucks and wastes the fastest car on the grid. There was plenty of action down the order.

There have always been processional races. Always. In fact, we celebrate some of those processions as high points in F1 history. Think of Jackie Stewart's utterly dominant Nurburgring win in 1968. More than four minutes between him and second place. Do you think that was particularly entertaining to watch?

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Absolutely. And many of Senna's stunning dominations, like when he basically lapped the whole field in Estoril for his first win. And what he did at Donnington.

These wins are different, there was something to them. Vettel could have won by 50 second but instead sat there managing a gap. Senna could have puttered around 10 seconds in front of second in the rain, but he wanted to show how good he was. Whether its Vettel, tires, the team, or all of them, we don't see just how good a guy can be.

And I agree... I defended Webber a few years ago, but he's turned into Massa.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Hardly. I agree with getting rid of DRS and possibly another tire manufacturer (or at least better tired) however I remember miserable fans up to the 2005 season. When none of the new rules were in place. It's really just unfortunate that Red Bull's competition is so weak.

12. sugarbutch

The problem is that RBR are going from strength to strength, steadily improving on their solid basis. Everyone else is chasing a big gain to make up the difference to them. That's risky, as McLaren will certainly tell you. If they had simply developed last year's concept, I bet Button would be in the hunt for the championship.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Well, just like the change in tire rules upended things for Ferrari in 2005, it's possible the new regs in 2014 will give other teams a shot at Red Bull. Despite their 3/4 championships in a row, it easily could have just been 2.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The solution is pretty simple and has been discussed ad nauseum. Minimalism aerodynamic grip and increase mechanical grip. Give the cars giant tires and make the wings nigh on useless.

Its the aero that is fucking up F1, has been for a long time. You can't race when you can't get close to other cars. DRS is just a band-aid for this long term problem.

Button? Nah. He's done his Damon Hill year. Great #2 driver for the rest of his career, he's peaked. Top class driver mind you, but just not going to be in the hunt for anything any longer.

Yes, true. There is a chance regs will change things, but this doesn't really go much further than engine changes, really. The cars will be the same basic aero package they are now. Red Bull have consistently learned from their cars performance faster than anyone else. You know how everyone said their cars were not suited for Spa and Monza? Pfff... smaller rear wing and they are flying.

Its sad to say this but Newey is the Senna of designers, and nobody can come close to the team he has assembled.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  15. sugarbutch

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. Even if you got rid of wings, some teams would maximise their aero package and have an advantage. They cannot unlearn aerodynamics.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't want to overemphasize wings, there are numerous aero changes that could eliminate all the destabilization of the cars in dirty air. I am not privy to all of them, but you could easily reduce this effect by 90%. Just bring back ground effects which don't care who is running in front or behind you.

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Felipe Massa has announced he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014. So the way is now set for Raikkonen or Hulkenberg. After Alonso lost his shit against Hamilton it will be fascinating to see how he handles no nonsense Raikkonen or upstart Hulk. If Raikkonen moves to Ferrari, it seems Hulk is first in line for a drive with Lotus. Eitherway, I hope he moves up the grid as I'm still smarting over his release from Williams in 2010 (although that worked to his favor).

Was never a big fan of Massa but he's had a pretty successful (and lucrative) career with Ferrari. Many wins, poles and fought for a championship and not to mention made Raikkonen (motivation or not) look ordinary and helped to end his first f1 career).

18. sugarbutch

The new scuttlebutt is that Alonso is so unhappy about this turn of events that he will move to Lotus which will again become Renault. I guess it's possible, but that seems far-fetched.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Very far fetched

This explains alonsos behavior at monza. Fireworks next season. The bbc is reporting its kimi. Awesome news.

Please f1, nobody sign massa.

Seems like hulk to lotus, since that Russian kid is going to sauber that sorts that out. Dude, sauber wtf... It will be the blind leading the blind. This is how you bury your f1 team.

Lotus have lost out big time. I don't get all the hulk love, he's done very little in f1.

20. sugarbutch

It's official:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109812