1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow. F1 is really faltering if Sauber can't pay its bills.

I can't see either team making a move mid-season. But that Red Bull seat suddenly looks interesting.

IMO its not good for Hulkenberg to leave like that, to get used to a new car in the middle of a season?

Bet he is really regretting leaving Force India, but who can blame him? Sauber were fighting for podiums last season.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

If they let him go, I suspect he'll be out for the remainder of the season. If he does somehow manage to get into a good seat this season, it should be fine as long as his contract extends past this year. His decision to leave Force India was probably predicated in part on Sauber's greater perceived stability. FI's solvency has been questioned, but now look...

In any case, I bet Sauber will eventually come up with the money, so he might be better off letting them owe him and continuing to drive.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's what I would do. Leaving mid-season has little upside. First of all, another team has to be willing to drop a driver mid-season.

I think the learning curve one race to another in a new car won't make sense.

By the way, Chilton is really getting smoked by Bianchi.

4. sugarbutch

There's also talk that van der Garde will get bounced mid-season.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

There's talk hulkenberg may replace Massa if his contract isn't renewed. There's also a chance (more talk) that he will go to Lotus either replacing Raikkonen or Grosjean.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Anyone that partners Alonso in that team done. You're chasing the $ at that point. Credit Webber for not going there as much as some dislike him.

I believe Di Resta will get the Red Bull seat, maybe they take a chance on Bianchi. Or give Ricciardo a one year deal and move Bianchi to Torro Rosso. If it had to be done today it would be Di Resta.

Vettel doesn't want Kimi next to him. I've turned the corner on Kimi. I thought he was a real ass at Ferrari, but goddam the guy can drive. I'd love to see them paired up but Vettel won't allow it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  7. sugarbutch

Whether or not Vettel will "allow" it, why would Red Bull want to upset the apple cart? They have a great driver who essentially wins whenever the car is capable of it, and if having a clear number two is the price of serial championships, what's the harm? And when I say number two, I mean someone like Webber who might challenge him occasionally, but isn't quick enough from race to race to trouble him over a season.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm sure that's the argument that Vettel will make.

Wish we had the days of Senna - Prost at McLaren or even when Hamilton and Alonso were paired up (although this was not completely intentional, I don't think anyone believed Hammy would be that good right from the start).

In a sense, I find it rather inconceivable that they'd pair SV with Kimi. Nowadays it would take a surprise. Fuck it, give the seat to Bianchi.

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Personally I really want to see Raikkonen stay at Lotus. I think he gives that team a spark that it really needs. Always happy to see Grosjean do well like in Germany but I'd also like to see HUlkenberg get a proper drive. Paul di Resta too but for some reason no one ever includes his name when discussing possible openings at top seats. I've heard it's because he's pretty abrasive/hard to work with but I don't recall F1 teams being soft like that.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its looking more likely that Ricciardo is going to move to the Red Bull seat. One reason is that a star driver is emerging and Red Bull want him in the Torro Rosso seat next season.

This Portuguese kid Antonio Felix da Costa is a pretty prodigious talent at 21 YO. Super fast, doesn't crash or make many mistakes, fantastic in the rain and really dedicated. He's moved to Milton Keys and is apparently on the Red Bull simulator every chance he gets and is at the factory all the time learning F1.

He won the GP2 championship, right now he's in the Formula 3.5 Renault World Series, he was swooped up by Red Bull and took it by storm when he joined it midway last season and is favorite for the championship this season.

Lastly, at the 3 day young driver test he got 1.5 days in the main Red Bull car. Nobody else got as much time in any car. I think he's a lock at Torro Rosso next season. Also, Helmut Marko loves this kid, compares him very favorably to Vettel.

Here are some highlights. Pretty cool, about 1 min into this vid he bump drafts another driver at Monza, ha ha, Nascar style. Some great stuff, check him out:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  11. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Raikkonen gets second to keep things interesting!

12. sugarbutch

That's rather more like it.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Great drive by Hamilton, wow. Those new tires seem to suit the car. Lotus was also excellent. Maybe there is hope we have a championship to fight for.

14. sugarbutch

If Vettel can have a crappy day and finish 3rd, then I think we're in for a repeat of last year.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Maybe, but if Red Bull suffers with the new tires and Mercedes thrives, it could change. Belgium will be interesting.

In other news, this is pretty awesome...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

16. sugarbutch

I wouldn't say that RBR were suffering on Sunday. If Vettel had managed to get in front of Lewis at the first turn, it's entirely possible that he could have won. LH essentially executed the SV gameplan:

• Pole
    • Get out of DRS range before it's activated
    • Riches

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its true. In dirty air the Merc might have suffered degredation.

In other news, it appears LDM gave Alonso an earful. This is why Alonso is an asshole. He's destabilizing the team in hopes to engineer a move to Red Bull. He's a fool, no way Red Bull would want him.

18. sugarbutch

I think your dislike for Alonso is blinding you to more likely explanations:

• Alonso reminds Ferrari that they need him as much or more as he needs them—get crackin' on a faster car or else
    • RBR tamps down Kimi's salary demands by suggesting that they have other WDC options for 2014

Also, Montezemolo is a prick.

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Um, what exactly did Alonso do or say to destabilize the team? I was reading about LDM's comments and still can't find quotes from Alonso criticizing the team. Seems more like an overreaction by LDM (still not sure what for).

20. sugarbutch

I direct you to what I wrote above: