• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked into starting a fantasy league, but it looks like we cant add a league after the season has started. Next year...

Duke Santos

Reaction score
Well, Russell very publicly fell on his sword today. Toto made it clear that you can be a hotheaded, reckless driver, but that it had better not cost Mercedes any Constructor's points. The dynamic here is pretty complex. I feel that Bottas is on his way out no matter what, and Mercedes is looking to the future. Russell may be that future, but it's not written in stone. I'd guess that if Hamilton gets #8 (no, not the Horween color) that he retires, but if he doesn't then?????

As The Dude would say, "lots of ins, lots of outs to this case, man. Lotta strands in the ol' Duder's head."

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If Hamilton retires wouldn’t it make sense to keep Bottas for one more year to have some continuity into the new regulations?

Schwazer

Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to look at it differently (though it may be naivety) but I like George so I want to think he looked at the video, could clearly see he was at fault and took responsibility.

Duke Santos

Reaction score
If Hamilton retires wouldn’t it make sense to keep Bottas for one more year to have some continuity into the new regulations?
Yeah, it's interesting. My gut tells me that they know they can't win a championship with Bottas, so they'll make a clean break of it....probably promote Russell and bring in someone like Alonso or Kimi to mentor him. Or I could just have my head up my ass, and Hamiliton comes back no matter what.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it's interesting. My gut tells me that they know they can't win a championship with Bottas, so they'll make a clean break of it....probably promote Russell and bring in someone like Alonso or Kimi to mentor him. Or I could just have my head up my ass, and Hamiliton comes back no matter what.
There's no way they'll ever take Alonso. As for Kimi, I don't really see him as an upgrade to Bottas at this point. Mercedes probably wants someone who takes racing more serious than just a hobby.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the mentoring thing doesn’t really work, I think. It could end up toxic if the Vet (swidt ?) doesn’t accept his role, plus Seb, Kimi and Fernando look washed at this point. So you’ll run the whole season with an underachieving seat.

I thought Niki Lauda’s nondriving role in Mercedes was better set up for mentoring young bucks ...even thoughI’m unsure how much mentoring he actually did

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My guess is that Russell is signed for Merc relatively early, and Bottas has to wait for Lewis to decide what he's doing in 2022. If Lewis retires, Danny Ric will be kicking himself again for getting out of sync with the big-team cycle.

Schwazer

Reaction score
No way Mercedes will take Alonso or Raikkonen.

The Retirement Village will though.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to see Lando and Russell take over at Mercedes, if only to piss off Max. I also think both are exceptionally talented and would be interested in seeing them get a great car to drive.

As for mentoring, Mercedes would be crazy to let Hamilton retire and not retain him as an ambassador/ mentor for the team.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for mentoring, Mercedes would be crazy to let Hamilton retire and not retain him as an ambassador/ mentor for the team.
Pretty much all of the drivers become Mercedes ambassadors afterwards but Lewis should take up the Niki Lauda role on the team after he retires.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My guess is that Russell is signed for Merc relatively early, and Bottas has to wait for Lewis to decide what he's doing in 2022. If Lewis retires, Danny Ric will be kicking himself again for getting out of sync with the big-team cycle.
I think he's in a good spot at McLaren instead of another (so far seemingly) wasted year at Renault. If someone really wants him they'll buy him out of his McLaren contract.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Macca deal is definitely a step up, but I’m talking about his pulling the rip cord at Red Bull to go to Renault in the first place. That one decision will likely mean he retires a beloved race winner who never got a crack at the title

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Macca deal is definitely a step up, but I’m talking about his pulling the rip cord at Red Bull to go to Renault in the first place. That one decision will likely mean he retires a beloved race winner who never got a crack at the title
He was never going to win the title with RB since RB is went all in with Max. After that one crash where Max made 2 moves to defend and RB said it was a 50/50 incident when it was mainly on Max, Ric had no choice but to leave.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.