1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

From the beeb:

BTW, I had the thread title changed so we don't have to swap threads every year and can just keep this one ongoing.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

INteresting, however things were safer in the 80s-90s than in the 60s-70s. Wahhh wahhh

BUt how can you not adore Piquet with gems like this:

Another interesting story, this one on potential musical chairs among technical directors at some serious teams ahead of 2014: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/cooper-niki-lauda-and-the-brawn-lowe-saga-at-mercedes

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

I haven't kept up with this thread nor F1 for a few weeks/months now - been focused on other things in life but it seems I'm back/on my way back to track with this...

Just read somewhere today that Paddy Lowe (tech.dir. for McLaren) is moving to Mercedes? Maybe following Hammy, more opportunities to make change, or Brawn sweet talked him. Paddy knows his sh1t very well... not suprised he's wanted.

I mentioned 'following Hammy' because everytime i've heard him speak to compare Hammy and Button, he seemed to favor the Hamster more the way he talked. Maybe just my own view on things.

In other news.... Force India still doesn't have a 2nd driver? Hopefully they'll announce it this weekend during practice.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

He probably followed the money more than Hamilton. Not sure how I feel about Mercedes. They've had an odd off season. Re force india, theiy two owners Vijay Mallya and Sahara guy have both had major financial issues in India. No idea what will happen to them

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't see how Mercedes can succeed with Lauda, Wolff, and Brawn "in charge" of the team. I suspect there will be bloodletting before things get better. Also, Lowe was technical director at McLaren, but Mercedes already have three technical directors. How does that work?

7. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Yeah, I read a tidbit about Vijay's financial issues.... sucks, FI is beginning to be a good team - let's hope they keep it together. Sutil was testing this past weekend and an F1 article quoted him somewhere along the lines of "...my manager and I have made it very easy for FI to make a decision..." (not verbatim!) so... Sutil may be back. Interesting to see the animosity between him and Hammy

@SB - yeah... it seems Merc is loading up with alot of brain, promising alot of brawn - ha! no pun intended.

And why is Lauda clinging to F1 for dear life? is he bored or still trying to get fame on his way to out.....out.. ?
    Everytime I see/hear him speak or interview somebody I want to punch myself for watching then I want to punch him.
    Just my POV, he annoys me.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  9. sugarbutch

Comparisons of short- and long-run deltas for each team suggest that Mercedes were running less fuel during their short runs than the other quick teams. He is quick, but it would be extraordinary for Mercedes to make up that much time on the leaders given the relative stability in the rules from 2012 to 2013. Not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely, especially in light of their previous muddled seasons.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

+1

Hopeless against the Red Bulls. I think Ferrari will be #2 next season, but I think LH will smoke Rosberg.

11. sugarbutch

I believe this, too. It will be interesting to watch.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

^ I actually like when drivers switch teams for this very reason. It's fascinating to find out how fast a guy really is compared to a teammate.

13. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

good reads, thanks for the links :)

There was a few mentioning that Hammy and Rosberg were old teammates pre-F1.... curious about the dynamics now of their relationship when the #1 and #2 Drivers are realized.

Nico wasn't bothered much by Schumacher.... but not sure about Lewis.

Last year's races were so close, attributed by most to new tires... since it'll be Pirelli's 2nd season, I hope noone figures out tire configs until late, to keep the races close/interesting. Even the boring circuits last year had me on the edge of my seat.

14. sugarbutch

Schumacher's hiatus coincided with a complete change in the cars and amount of testing. I doubt Nico could have lived with him had he not taken the time off. But, in the end, we'll never know.

Tires are supposed to be less edgy this year, but also less durable and with a much wider gap in performance between the two tires at each race. I think we're in for a good 'un.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hmmm. Australia practice 2. Rosberg quicker than Hamilton. 2 seconds separate the top 10, that's an eternity. McLaren NOT IN THE TOP 10.

Second Practice top ten

1. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull - 1:25.908

2. Mark Webber - Red Bull - 1:26.172

3. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:26.322

4. Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus - 1:26.361

5. Romain Grosjean - Lotus - 1:26.680

6. Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 1:26.748

7. Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes - 1:26.772

8. Felipe Massa - Ferrari - 1:26.855

9. Adrian Sutil - Force India - 1:27.435

10. Nico Hulkenberg - Sauber - 1:28.187

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  16. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I think Hulkenberg is going to do well this season now that he's in a better car.

I'm ready for it to be monday so I can download the torrents and watch Qualy and the race.

Red Bull making everything look easy, except for Webber's small oversteer/slide.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

BBC - no Eddie Jordan? That sucks.

The Merc is looking pretty strong. Nobody is going to touch Red Bull this weekend, and maybe this season.

18. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

1:55 AM ET ... how do I watch while balancing out Irish activities on Sunday?

19. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

Qualifying.

Vettel on pole,
    Webber 2nd
    Hamilton 3rd,
    Massa 4th
    5th.FA
    6th. NR
    7th.KR
    8th.RG
    9th. PdR
    10th. JB

20. sugarbutch

NBC Sports coverage already eclipsing Speed...