Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

FE: They're short and narrow because a) the cars can't maintain sustained acceleration on long straights, and b) they want to be in city centers, not at tracks. And, yes, they suck.

Kubica: I bet he's faster than at least a quarter of the current field.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I didnt realize they couldn't sustain acceleration.

Being faster than 1/4 of the field means he's quicker than Massa, Stroll, Palmer, Magnussen, and Kyviat. Not exactly a triumph.

3. sugarbutch

If he was only that fast, yes, but I'm suggesting he's *at least* that fast, thus plausible. Alonso thought he was the best driver in F1, so if he's even 90% of that...

4. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

But nobody can take out other cars on the first lap as good as Kyvat. He's perfected his craft.

5. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I thought Kubica was in the top tier category during his prime (or at least had the potential to be), but the difference between top tier and 2nd is usually only about .2~.3 sec a lap...and I am sure his injuries, age, being out of top category formula, etc. have slowed him down much more than that, so I am not very excited about his testing and return.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

If Kubica returns, it means the sport is really at its nadir with respect to talent. It'd be pretty foolish for Renault not to do whatever it could to get a Sainz, Bottas (Mercedes is going to string him along at best on a 1 year extension), or even Ocon. Perez too but that would be boring since he has already paired with Hulkenberg. All these drivers they could lock into multi year contracts.

7. sugarbutch

Bottas will likely get one year with a salary premium so that Merc is best positioned whether or not Hamilton retires. I don't think he will, but one never knows.