1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

2. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I get the whole safety thing but why now? and why only during practice? *at least it's only during practice*
    Drivers have been going flat out through there...
    I wonder what the driver's take on this and if it has any impact in the opening laps of the race.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

From how I read that press release, it sounds like they cannot use DRS in Eau Rouge in the race, but during practice they can normally use DRS anywhere on the track. However, for safety, they are not allowing DRS during practice either in just that section.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

The concerns were raised last year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/14615926

It was never allowed through Eau Rouge during the race, though, so no impact on the opening laps. Personally, I'd prefer that they reduce the maximum angle of attack on the wings and free up the underbody then get rid of DRS. At least KERS can be used by the driver whenever he chooses and in defense of position if necessary.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont understand why they make a big deal out of eau rouge anymore, its a flat corner. Tighten it so there is a lift, lets see some real bravery in that corner again.

I also dont understand the point of DRS during anything but practice and race conditions. DRS is to facilitate passing, not improve quali lap times. It should be a moot point.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

DRs is stoopid. There's no racing anymore. With these Pirelli tires, it's overkill

7. sugarbutch

I don't care if they take it flat or not. Get rid of the paved runoff, and it becomes a manly corner again.

8. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Whether it's a combination of all (new design & regulations, KERS, DRS, tires, etc) or some, I don't quite know what to thank yet.... all I know is this year has been the most exciting yet

oh and there's noise Kimi/Lotus are a good bet for the podium :slayer:
    but i'm still a Hammy fanboi :embar:

Also, I hope Maldonado crashes into Alonso. With an Alonso DNF, it would make for an closer race for WC.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

What's manly about a flat corner? Just keep it in and drive thru. The lift makes for much better action down the strait. I dont care if there is runoff or not, but at least tune the corner so drivers have to judge it. Now the strait extends from the hairpin all the way to the top of the hill.

Why they need DRS down that long ass strait is pointless anyway. If you cant get a tow with that distance, forget it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The speed through Eau Rouge is so fast the run off they have now is still not much. The fact it was a test between just lifting and trying to go flat made it quite the challenge:

Now that it's easily flat (thanks to downforce) much of that challenge is gone. However the drivers still love it. I think they could tighten the corner up just a bit to bring that charm back to the corner.

11. sugarbutch

I get that being on the edge of taking it flat is challenging, but now there's no consequence for getting it wrong (which, despite its being flat, is still possible).

12. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

^^ yeah, definitely possible, especially with maldonado :satisfied:

13. sugarbutch

As long as he's going through the corner by himself, he should be fine. If there's anyone to hit, though, look out.

Speaking of Williams drivers, Barrichello got his best finish in IndyCar at Sonoma on Sunday.

[​IMG]

14. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

Watching practise now, raining hard. Definitely lifting through ER...:nodding:

15. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Been trying to avoid this thread in case of spoilers....haven't watched quali/race yet... will have time tomorrow :slayer:

Anyway, this made me aroused:

I sorta remember some parts of that makeshift track....IIRC, he's on part of River rd. (used to live there YEARS ago)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  16. sugarbutch

Maldonado plays to type.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow. 1 race ban for Grojean. Alonso almost got decapitated.

18. A Y

A Y Senior member

19. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

http://malcolmstrachan.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/hamiltons-data/
    [​IMG]

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

^^ how the hell he sees any of that shit is beyond me