• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Its true button does like a car that understeers which I dont understand personally, I would find that harder to control.

A balance tilted toward understeer (not pushing like a pig, mind) would typically be more stable under braking and in fast turns. Particularly in the latter situation, you let off some throttle and the nose comes back. With an oversteery car, you let off and the back end loosens up. Neither is wrong, but if you don't like the feel of one or the other, you won't have the confidence to push to the limit.

I'm sure Ian can expand on this greatly.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
a car with slight understeer is more controllable for some styles of driving
the fact that an F1 car is required by rules to go from 60-100% power (operating range15k to 18k) in 1/2" (15 mm) of throttle travel is a pretty good reason
especailly since they banned traction control
and now have less downforce also, oversteer on a car with a light rear and that much power over such a small throttle range would be very tricky

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different vid of the NJ circuit. Shows the track layout

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Different vid of the NJ circuit. Shows the track layout
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Vettel looks tired.

I wouldnt be surprised if that race doesnt go. Would love it, 4 hours from my house. Looks like kind of a ratty area, anyone know that spot?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[VIDEO]![/VIDEO]

Love Letterman... doesnt give a ****, asks all kinds of technical questions. You can tell he's really interested.

F1 drivers need to lose the use of the word 'obviously'.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i took the ferry from the proposed site. It's a flippin' cliff, so the elevation change will be nice.

I hated the Letterman interview. He should have shut the f*** up and let Vettel talk. As became plain when he did, Vettel didn't need any help to be entertaining. Plus, who the f*** cares about Indiana?

ianGP

Reaction score
For someone that owns an ALMS team - he sounded like he was dumbing himself down for the public?
Vettel look abit uncomfortable or maybe just didn't click as well as Jeremy & Vettel:

(old Top Gear but Vettel shows 'himself' on cam)

ianGP

Reaction score

i took the ferry from the proposed site. It's a flippin' cliff, so the elevation change will be nice.
I hated the Letterman interview. He should have shut the f*** up and let Vettel talk. As became plain when he did, Vettel didn't need any help to be entertaining. Plus, who the f*** cares about Indiana?

My old apartment was 5min walk from the ferry... right of River rd.

Pretty nice stretch that road. That would be a 100% attendance for me! Texas plane tickets are more expensive than I'd care to pay, not to mention the shafting you'll get when you book a hotel room :embar:

Oh and for the understeer/oversteer comment - I drive like Hammy, my views are biased :D The only time I set my car/karts up for understeer is if I'm very new to the track, my first time out(when I have time), or both - it's the safer way around for me. With understeer, I have to completely adjust my braking/cornering habits just to set up the kart around the corner.

Aside from textbook definitions between the two, I do find that a driver that prefers an understeering kart has a better feel for grip. They sense grip relatively better at the track, therefore a smoother drive, and lasting tires. I, and a few others who prefer an oversteering kart, use our slip angles to scrub speed off around the corner, neutralizing the tires much faster - think "fast in, fast out"

So, for a race that relies heavily on tire life, a well-balanced, understeer-biased kart would be most efficient(of course not taking into account driver input). Think Button in BrawnGP. It was essentially the perfect car for him. Except for the tracks that killed tires much faster, his races were phenomenal.

*I'm missing a huge chunk of info somewhere there but it's the best I can explain for now ;)*

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
there was a really good test in a recent magazine (R&T, C&D, etc.) where they tested a bunch of cars and compared steering angle vs turning radius

911 vs Lotus, etc., I'll see if I can dig it up. first time I've seem something like this, the GTr perfromed very well

here it is, a nice primer for the basics and different drivetrain set-ups
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1109_2011_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/viewall.html

sample ferrari 458
2011-best-drivers-car-ferrari-458-italia-track-map.jpg

52 deg of understeer, the mustang had only 18!

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got to ride in the SLS in the story when Jonny used it as the pace car for a LeMons race at Sears Point:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I got to ride in the SLS in the story when Jonny used it as the pace car for a LeMons race at Sears Point:

That car is a monster. There is a guy around the corner that has one. He is always outside cleaning it. Otherwise it has a car cover. Unbelievable, though: he doesnt garage it, it sits in the drive covered. Can you imagine whats in the garage if THAT is not in there?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For someone that owns an ALMS team - he sounded like he was dumbing himself down for the public?
Vettel look abit uncomfortable or maybe just didn't click as well as Jeremy & Vettel:
(old Top Gear but Vettel shows 'himself' on cam)

I imagine he's a very interesting, fun guy to meet and know personally. BUt I get the impression he either clams up or has little interest in showing all of himself to the general public. Can't say I blame him.

Edit - I take you were referring to the Letterman interview? he seems relatively relaxed on Top Gear.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My old apartment was 5min walk from the ferry... right of River rd.
Pretty nice stretch that road. That would be a 100% attendance for me! Texas plane tickets are more expensive than I'd care to pay, not to mention the shafting you'll get when you book a hotel room :embar:
Oh and for the understeer/oversteer comment - I drive like Hammy, my views are biased :D The only time I set my car/karts up for understeer is if I'm very new to the track, my first time out(when I have time), or both - it's the safer way around for me. With understeer, I have to completely adjust my braking/cornering habits just to set up the kart around the corner.
Aside from textbook definitions between the two, I do find that a driver that prefers an understeering kart has a better feel for grip. They sense grip relatively better at the track, therefore a smoother drive, and lasting tires. I, and a few others who prefer an oversteering kart, use our slip angles to scrub speed off around the corner, neutralizing the tires much faster - think "fast in, fast out"
So, for a race that relies heavily on tire life, a well-balanced, understeer-biased kart would be most efficient(of course not taking into account driver input). Think Button in BrawnGP. It was essentially the perfect car for him. Except for the tracks that killed tires much faster, his races were phenomenal.
*I'm missing a huge chunk of info somewhere there but it's the best I can explain for now ;)*

From DC, flights to Austin are currently $250

**** hotel rooms, try renting an apartment (for montreal I have a place I use, this time I'd probably try airbnb).

Last edited:

ianGP

Reaction score

there was a really good test in a recent magazine (R&T, C&D, etc.) where they tested a bunch of cars and compared steering angle vs turning radius 911 vs Lotus, etc., I'll see if I can dig it up. first time I've seem something like this, the GTr perfromed very well here it is, a nice primer for the basics and different drivetrain set-ups http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1109_2011_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/viewall.html sample ferrari 458
2011-best-drivers-car-ferrari-458-italia-track-map.jpg
52 deg of understeer, the mustang had only 18!
:eek: 1g of braking followed by 1.5g lat on a 300 treadwear tire..... I will do unspeakable things for a 458! Thanks for the article, good read!
:inlove: x2 I've never even been close to one! I'm mega jelly!
Edit - I take you were referring to the Letterman interview? he seems relatively relaxed on Top Gear.
Yep, Vettel looked abit off with Letterman. Could have been alot of 'behind-the-scenes' we don't know about, but from watching alot of Vettel interviews and media - he seems closer to the personality in the Top Gear video.
From DC, flights to Austin are currently $250 **** hotel rooms, try renting an apartment (for montreal I have a place I use, this time I'd probably try airbnb).
JetBlue fails me :embar: That and I just checked www.circuitoftheamericas.com for tix - it looks like the fun turns are sold out. T9 looks boring. T11 west has one bit of action. I'm not about to pay "premium grandstand" for a 1st time out with F1 (although it looks like a fun track)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads