1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Williams can't have two young guys with little/zero experience in the first year of a new formula. With Bottas gone, who else can they get besides Massa? Button probably wasn't interested in driving an also-ran car; he could have had that at McLaren. Who else is left? Ironically, Rosberg's hasty departure seems to have screwed both of the teams he drove for in one fell swoop.

Speaking of Nico, I've watched a few post-season interviews with him. It didn't change my assessment of his ultimate quality as a driver, but I was impressed by how much effort he put into maximizing his potential this year. As much as I love talent, I also respect hard work.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yeah, but Massa? Come on. All these talented drivers and they want to bring Massa back?

Give the seat to Marco Wittman then, maybe not F1 experienced, but a 2 time DTM champion can't be shrugged off.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Apparently another reason for selecting Massa was Martini required a driver old enough to reasonably market their products

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

LOL

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I'm not surprised by the top end but the bottom end makes nothing.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Considering the amount of money sloshing around in the sport, its embarrassing. Apparently mechanics also get hugely shafted compared to the time and effort they put in.

F1 seems like a MLM scheme where a very tiny number of people are rewarded and the rest get shit.

9. sugarbutch

There are more drivers than there are seats, and many who would drive for nothing. Without a collective bargaining agreement, this is what you get. What I think is most interesting is disparity between Mercedes and Red Bull. RBR are getting stellar value for money.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yeah, but still

11. IChen

IChen Senior member

I mean I think Verst is doing great on Red Bull but he needs some more maturity and experience.

But I can see the point where some people can paid a lot more. Mercedes has a car clearly ahead and dominant, they're of course willing to pay a lot for the best driver. Engineers and others though, unfair.

12. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I always thought the senior engineers got paid pretty well. The lower level and jr engineers probably don't make much though.

Not sure if it's true but I heard Adrian Newey gets paid more than the current RB drivers combined.

1 person likes this.
  13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont know about his salary, but I think Newey has shares.

I am sure design engineers get paid well, but not mechanics. It's funny that these guys are the very last link to the car, as well as the pit crews and they earn 40 to 80k for the more advanced work.

Now granted, you open a local garage and can advertise you were an F1 mechanic.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Huh? What makes you think they don't do very well for their profession?

15. sugarbutch

Wehrlein confirmed at Sauber. Bottas visiting Mercedes factory.

16. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Williams already has 2 drivers and Wehrlein confirmed for Sauber, so it almost seems like Mercedes announced Bottas several weeks ago without really announcing.

BTW - do you guys think Bottas is really that quick?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No. He could barely gap old Massa.

18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I"m with idfnl on this one.

19. sugarbutch

I think he's faster than his recent performance suggests, but not top-tier fast. I suspect the situation at Williams last year was demotivating.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Faster than recent performance may be accurate, but that still leaves him in the Hulkenburg/Perez/Grosjean class.

It's going to be pretty easy for Hamilton next season, making for boring racing. I don't buy the idea that the Red Bull will be a winning car next season, but I hope I'm wrong.

In other news, Bernie wants Schumacher's kid in F1. Regardless of how unprepared he may be. I have not heard he's that good.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017