1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

LOL, Italians cherish their ability to whine about losing out. It took a Kraut, Frog and a Limey to turn their fortunes.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

My sarcasm was in response to this. I think everyone likes winners. Even the UK. :)

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

After today, there have been 9 different race winners this season.

Oh... I'm taking about MotoGP in case you're confused. Yet another fantastic race today.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

OMG, Vettel punished? This sport has become a shit show. Charlie Whiting does in fact need to fuck off. That was a great moment of defensive driving, wheel to wheel, and kinda the only interesting moment of yet another boring fucking race. And he gets a penalty for some truly excellent driving? Ugh.

Verstappen did deserve the penalty. He clearly gained a significant advantage. It was good comedy to watching Max leave the room. Vertappen is really showing himself to be an arrogant little prick.

Unfortunately you couldn't hear shit.

It's just unwatchable at this point.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  5. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

The Ferrari vs Red Bull rivalry is really heating up with Max being an arrogant prick constantly pissing off Kimi and Sebastian. Great stuff.

First time in a long while Nico and Lewis actually spoke to each other in the green room.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  6. sugarbutch

Vettel clearly transgressed the recently clarified rule about moving in the braking area, thus the penalty. Whether that rule should have been clarified as it was is another story.

Verstappen had one. fucking. job. The Boy Wonder, Passing God Extraordinaire somehow failed to make the pass on Rosberg stick. Rosberg was a sitting duck, and he blew it.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This is the bullshit of it, Butch. It's a stupid fucking rule that opens up yet another area for interpretation as to what a move under braking really is. I saw a solid piece of defensive driving. It reminds me of some American sports which are actively eliminating defense to increase the excitement of scoring. To me, rather a purist, I think a well defended position is as interesting as a pass. Vettel was cheeky, but professional.

And if Verstappen was penalized, why wasn't Hamilton at the 1st corner? Because it was the first lap? The rules are turning into a mess of hair splitting. Hamilton cut the corner for the sake of preserving his tires from a flat spot... that's gaining an advantage, nay? I don't believe the rule excludes the first corner or the first lap. Whiting, that douchebag, wasn't willing to have balls and effect the championship.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

According to Will Buxton Vettel was the one that advocated for the rule clarification. How ironic.

9. sugarbutch

Whiting has said that only the most egregious transgressions at the start will be punished. Had Rosberg and Verstappen made it through the corner in the normal manner, Hamilton's advantage would have been unambiguous. But they didn't, and then the VSC/SC came up. I'm pretty sure others have gotten away with similar (although perhaps not as flagrant) first-corner offs. To my mind, it's a failure of circuit design if drivers can go off the track and gain time. Put some Tecpro barriers 20 feet back from the kerbs, and all this bullshit will stop. No one will get hurt, but they'll break off a wing if they push it too far.

I was pretty certain Vettel wouldn't get to keep third, so I was surprised that they made such a big deal of getting him on the podium. The loss of two positions seems a bit harsh, though.

10. sugarbutch

A delicious irony.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Didn't know that, well deserved irony. Vettel has always been a self serving dick, so hardy har har. Next time shut the fuck up and drive your car.

12. sugarbutch

I wish they'd stop broadcasting his in-car outbursts. Who cares, really? As soon as he gets out of the car, he's generally reasonable, and yet still is willing to give an honest opinion on things. It's just tabloid bullshit at this point. He didn't even give Max the finger after the checker.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Are you crazy? We're getting the real Sebastian Vettel in those moments. He was nice and boring when he had a dominant car and he's a whiny brat with a little adversity (which we actually saw when he didn't get his way when racing Webber).

Anyway, the man is nearly 30 and a multiple world champion, so if he can't handle his radio I'm not sure why we'd rob viewers from some entertainment.

14. sugarbutch

You're missing my point. The radio transmissions are no more or less real than his demeanor outside the car. When I'm racing, I yell at other drivers inside my helmet. That's "real", but so is the courteous, friendly person I am off the track. One is private (even if FOM and other teams can listen in), the other is public. If you subtract from your assessment the whingeing and shouting from the car, he's been funny, honest, and even confrontational, but without calling people cunts.

I don't particularly love Vettel, and I agree he was flattered a bit by having a fantastic car that suited his talents. But he's generally a hard, fair racer, and F1 needs more like him.

15. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Fuck off! Honestly, fuck off.

Vettel's ourbursts are great.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I would personally rather see a guy's ugly side sometimes than the boring monotonous answers they always give to media outlets. They should indeed broadcast the outbursts, as they are what's happening in the car. When an NBA players loses it at a referee, they cameras are there and you see it, why should racing be shielded?

In fact, if you really want to make the sport relevant and exciting, provide channels for all team radios for live broadcasts. This way a Ferrari fan can tune into the radio for Ferrari and follow along with the chatter. You can get live timing on your ipad, why are the radios shielded?

Ricciardo exposed Vettel, Webber made him seem invincible, so he was never as good as that Red Bull made him look.

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Interesting, I always thought he was a bit clumsy.

18. sugarbutch

What the actual fuck?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Great drive by Max to come up from where ever he was to get the podium. Rosberg isn't gunning for any wins. He just going to shadow Lewis.

20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Gave up during the 2nd or 3rd red flag.