Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

That would be interesting.

Has anyone else noticed that Hamilton's first-lap pace and restarts are weak spots in his driving?

BTW, a fella over in the WAYWRN thread called the race for Webber on Thursday. I need to find out which prognosticating app he has for his iPhone...

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Teaser clip for the upcoming movie on the 1976 season. Directed by Ron Howard

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Documentary about James Hunt and Barry Sheene

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

I'm really looking forward to the Howard movie, hope he pulls it off

have to check netflix for the documentary

thanks

5. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

Sauber F1 Team - World Premiere: Cutaway F1 Race Car

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I heard about that and thought yawn, but thats fucking brilliant. Its incredible how low that engine actually sits, and how high up the drivers feet actually are. Its also pretty stunning to see how low to the ground they really sit.

Nice vid, thanks

7. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I've seen this on a couple of other forums (fora?) and it seemed like that was the biggest surprise for most people (including me). I can't imagine driving in that position, especially at those speeds for that length of time. :slayer:

8. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

cutaway = cool
    talk about packaging

9. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

great race
    hamilton 20 sec behind after pitting with 15 laps left, rejoined in 3rd (iirc, alonso, vettel, hamilton)
    passed alonso with 5 laps left
    vettel pitted with ~6 laps left, 15 sec behind alonso, caught him and passed him within 5 laps
    as did 2 others, alonso 1st to 5th in <6 laps
    couldn't happened to a nicer douche

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Hell of a race! I thought that my enthusiasm for Hamilton had faded somewhat, but I was whooping it up during the last stint.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It was a good race. Anyone there?

Hamilton drove very well. I think he's solved those tires. WTF is happening to Jenson Button? Do we have a new Filipe Massa?

Agree. Watching Alonso eat shit like that was rather satisfying. Couldnt have happened to a nicer asshole.

By the way, watched the US Fox coverage for the first time and OMG I dont know how you guys do it. Worst fucking commentary ever... and commercials, what the hell. Bob Varsha should stick to Nascar or whatever he knows. Mistake after mistake.

The BBC coverage is a million times better.

12. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

I'm in Montreal
    sat at the entrance to the hairpin, 1st row, directly behind the marshal's station

sat next to a few alonso fans, showed them my iphone app, the gap getting smaller every lap, reeled him in like a slow fat fish
    literally almost 20 sec in 10 laps or so

hamilton had a sfumbled, slow stop, he did not get rattled, just went out and took care of business
    vettel too, pitted with less than 10 laps left (6?) and passed alonso with 1 or 2 to go

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

13. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

fox is bad, it's better when on speedtv, varsha is the 'talent', david hobbs is good, funny and knowledgeable and matchett is ok re: the tech stuff

I would have loved to see a post race interview with alonso, moping amd whining
    I have no idea why they didn't pit him right after hamilton, especially with mclarens bobble, but hamilton ran several fast laps in a row, and that is all she wrote
    alonso pits, the gap is too small, hamilton in front
    stay out, and a slow painful, humiliating beat down
    win-win as far as I'm concerned, lol

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Best corner on the circuit, the spot where I had my first ever experience with F1.

Arrived in Canada just before qualifying, checked in at the hotel and got to the circuit as quick as I could. Was running across the bridge, session had already started. Ran thru some concession stands and to the wall and peered thru. Heard that sound coming and baaaaaaaaaaaaaa... voooom voooom vooom vooooom vooooom, Mika Hakkinen in the old Marlboro McLaren livery came screaming by and downshifted to the corner. I couldnt believe what I just saw. He rounded the hairpin and it was incredible watching his head slapping the back of the head rest up thru the gears, and that acceleration... holy shit. Will never forget that moment. I realized how much faster those cars are in person than the TV makes them look. If you have never seen a GP, you should. Its far and away the best racing experience.

15. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

my first race, v10's early 90's, hadn't put my ear plugs in
    I heard this gawd awful noise, cross between a chainsaw and a crashing airplane, until you hear it, you have no idea
    I honestly thought it was a crashing camera helo! I ducked, figured out what it was, and had a good laugh at myself :D

heard a similar type sound (different pitch etc,) but just as unsual and extemely mechanical when in the Army, early 80's
    they mounted vulcan 20 mm on tracks for anti-aircraft defense, the thing sounded other worldly (for a gun), very scary