1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

formalwear pRon!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

A very official event or just friends with high dress standards?
    Just friends. We had the opportunity to use a historical manor for a private New Year's eve party and just decided to go all the way.

Now to find other occasions to wear my ensemble [​IMG]

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

last New Year's eve had a peculiar dress code and I happily obliged...

[​IMG]

It looks great.

3. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

[​IMG]

From my January wedding...

"¢ Viktor & Rolf 1 button peak lapel tuxedo (lots of pickstitching, you can see some of it in the picture... I liked it)

"¢ Finamore Napoli (Andrea Napoli) wing collar micro-pleated bib shirt

"¢ Beauties Ltd freestyle bow tie (I actually find these easier to do than a 4IH now, as I probably tried doing the knot 100 times [​IMG])

"¢ Gucci Pour Homme ribbed waistcoat (earlier in the thread).

"¢ A Testoni cap toe shoes, spit-shined to a mirror polish

"¢ Thrifted cufflinks. Fake metal abounds, but they did the job.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

[​IMG]

From my January wedding...

? Viktor & Rolf 1 button peak lapel tuxedo (lots of pickstitching, you can see some of it in the picture... I liked it)

? Finamore Napoli (Andrea Napoli) wing collar micro-pleated bib shirt

? Beauties Ltd freestyle bow tie (I actually find these easier to do than a 4IH now, as I probably tried doing the knot 100 times [​IMG])

? Gucci Pour Homme ribbed waistcoat (earlier in the thread).

? A Testoni cap toe shoes, spit-shined to a mirror polish

? Thrifted cufflinks. Fake metal abounds, but they did the job.

Who made the roll?

(and congrats)

5. macuser3of5

Her mother made the roll, cows made the butter. And thanks. [​IMG]

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Wedding?

You're not teh ghey?

7. macuser3of5

Wedding?

You're not teh ghey?

The wife thinks it is possible, but I promised that I would only do so for TB discounts. [​IMG]

PMs are welcome. [​IMG]

8. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

did you wear braces under the waist coat? I am in the final stage of finalizing my wedding attire too, and can't make up my mind wheather to just wear braces or too add a low waist coat.

9. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^Why wouldn't you wear braces?

10. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

did you wear braces under the waist coat? I am in the final stage of finalizing my wedding attire too, and can't make up my mind wheather to just wear braces or too add a low waist coat.

Braces are good if you are planning to Boogie the nigt away.

11. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.

12. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.

I've never felt the braces under my waistcoat. You should give it a try, because it's nice to not have to worry about your pants slowly dropping as you walk around or dance the night away.

13. macuser3of5

No, I saw no reason to do so. Everything hit in the right spot, the trousers had a nice high rise, and the waistcoat appropriately covered everything.

14. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Kind of double post...discovered that thread too lately^^.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

That collar reminds me of the one Charles Ryder's father wore in Brideshead Revisited. I wouldn't mind having one like it myself.

It's really the only wing collar that looks decent with shawl lapels.

16. Cravate_Noire

I just saw that you have a evening tailcoat, I'm in need (OK, I'm lying, for todays standards that's absolutely the last thing one can be in need^^) of some really matching trousers.
    It seems that formal trousers with two stripes that are cut adequately high have become something that disappeard...any rtw sources?
    If possible, I'd to avoid additional investment mtm or bespoke as that thing won't be used that often...

17. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Mine came paired together, so that the cloth and all matches. You're correct that the proper trousers, traditionally, are full cut and very high rise. Any time you try to 'match' black it gets tricky.

18. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Wedding?

You're not teh ghey?

I was surprised too. But hey--congrats, macuser. And, nice tux.

I don't think there's a real issue here. In fact, the braces are that much more important if anything. They'll keep your pants from riding down and letting your shirt stick out between your waistcoat and waistband.

Cravate Noire, that is a sweet ensemble.

19. Cravate_Noire

Thank you Grimslade!
    Mine came paired together, so that the cloth and all matches. You're correct that the proper trousers, traditionally, are full cut and very high rise. Any time you try to 'match' black it gets tricky.
    I was a bit unclear, with "matching" I meant that most trousers that come with evening tailcoats are cut just the same way like normal evening wear trousers, I've seen tailcoats where the waistcoat didn't cover the trousers waistband...sometimes even with the waistcoat popping out under the tailcoat several cm. Though as you mention it, I might have to be a bit lucky to find a pair of trousers that aren't only cut well, but also made of a fabric that matches the tailcoat too... At least the next event I plan to attend with white tie will be in may^^.

20. macuser3of5

I was surprised too.
    [​IMG]