1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

formalwear pRon!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Sator will not be happy with the lack of cummerbund/vest!

What's the rule for formal? Cummerbund or vest AND suspenders? Or either/or?

Foxx, looks great.

2. Ringo

Ringo Well-Known Member

You know, I'm not 100% sure (and too lazy to search), but I believe it's either cummberbund or vest with a SB (neither is needed for a DB, since the jacket is to be closed at all times), regardless of whether you choose to or need to wear suspenders/braces.

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

far as I know, a tuxedo requires braces-- which, to me rules out flat front trousers. But I went with the modern Bond route, and didn't wear a vest or cumberbund. I never unbutton the jacket during the event anyway.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

You never answered my queary about why you chose not to unbutton your sleeve for this particular event (working buttons on a tux...now THAT is a gentleman!).

5. The_Foxx

sorry, MrD-- I must have missed that one. I chose not to unbutton any of the sleeve buttons in an attempt to appear elegant and polished, although it would have helped set my tux apart from the sea of rentals-- so I think next time I'll be a rogue, and will unbutton.

6. MrDaniels

sorry, MrD-- I must have missed that one. I chose not to unbutton any of the sleeve buttons in an attempt to appear elegant and polished, although it would have helped set my tux apart from the sea of rentals-- so I think next time I'll be a rogue, and will unbutton.

Sad thing, the guys who are renting most likely would not notice the distiction anyway.

7. Ringo

Ringo Well-Known Member

far as I know, a tuxedo requires braces-- which, to me rules out flat front trousers. But I went with the modern Bond route, and didn't wear a vest or cumberbund. I never unbutton the jacket during the event anyway.
    See, I was under the impression that braces were optional, and that a lot of people wore them because a) it's a classic look, and b) you can't wear a belt. I wasn't aware that they were required, especially considering that technically you're not supposed to take off your jacket. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

8. Ringo

Ringo Well-Known Member

Sad thing, the guys who are renting most likely would not notice the distiction anyway.
    I think most people/the average person would not notice, plus they would not know the distinction (i.e. working button holes > fake). I feel that details like that are more or less a lost cause, because most people are not likely to notice, and if they do notice, they may misinterpret it as a mistake on your part, much like a missing belt on belt loop-less pants.

9. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

Do you ever get occasion to wear the White Tie?

About once a year on average.

10. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Educate yourself about classic black tie. Any and all questions pertaining to black tie can be found here. Website is the creation of a forum member.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

In the classic black tie, braces/suspender IS required as there is otherwise no way to keep the trousers up on the true waist. There is some debate whether the braces should be white or black, however.

11. MrDaniels

About once a year on average.

You must move in far more-prestigious circles than I! [​IMG])

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

You must move in far more-prestigious circles than I! [​IMG])
    +1
    Never been invited to a white tie event my entire life... [​IMG]

13. The_Foxx

I think most people/the average person would not notice, plus they would not know the distinction (i.e. working button holes > fake). I feel that details like that are more or less a lost cause, because most people are not likely to notice, and if they do notice, they may misinterpret it as a mistake on your part, much like a missing belt on belt loop-less pants.

Yep-- women (particularly attractive ones) tend to notice the sleeve button undone. maybe women are more detail oriented, or at first think it might be a missing button, but they notice either way-- and the fact that it indicates something slightly different.

14. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

As I await my double-breasted Oxxford dj to come back from alterations (next week), I continue to chip away at the various accessories.

This morning I bought this on ebay:

[​IMG]

All silk white opera scarf made in England. I don't know how old it is, but according to the seller it was in "long-term storage" and is new old stock. I paid $31 delivered from the UK.

Today I'm picking up this from a local men's shop, a Hanauer faille bowtie to coordinate with the grosgrain facing on my dinner jacket (a tie-your-own, of course)

[​IMG]
    (stock photo)

I'm expecting this silk pocket square from Kent Wang:

[​IMG]

And posted in the cufflinks thread earlier is this vintage dress set via ebay for $10:

[​IMG]

Vintage white braces, thrifted a few weeks ago for about $5. The Fedora Lounge guys tell me they're likely from the '30s:

[​IMG]

I have no need for waistcoat or cummerbund and my dj is double breasted, but I will see what silk hose offerings the shop has when I pick up the bowtie today. It all has to come together by Dec. 14.

15. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Gorgeous pocket square. I want one. I like those vintage suspenders too.

Re: the earlier question: The brace keep your pants from slipping down. I suppose if you have perfectly fitted pants with side tabs they might be otiose, but it would still be easier to keep your pants up with them. That way, your shirt doesn't hang out underneath your vest/cumberbund.

I have white braces, because I like them (the Thurston moire ones, which I believe Bond wore in CR). I don't know if there's a firm rule about that.

16. crazyquik

You have great taste in accessories. The paisley pocket square is a great touch that steps it up above a plain silk one.

I like white braces better than black but don't consider this almost irrelevant because I don't unbutton my DB jacket and they are covered with a vest and jacket with the tails.

I'm looking for waistcoat studs now (or try and find a vintage cufflink/stud set with vest studs).

Does anyone regularly wear a carnation when they dress up? I never have but I may try that next time.

Edit - I love this thread

17. Biscione

Biscione Well-Known Member

Do you ever get occasion to wear the White Tie?

White tie is child's play, anyway.

I actually have a strong pink formal coat. 1000 points to anyone who knows where it is required dress.

18. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

White tie is child's play, anyway.

I actually have a strong pink formal coat. 1000 points to anyone who knows where it is required dress.

You go to the Mary Kay awards ceremony?

19. Biscione

Biscione Well-Known Member

You go to the Mary Kay awards ceremony?

No.

Hint: it involves Italy.

20. crazyquik

I would have said for fox hunting but now maybe something to do with the Pope, Vatican, College of Cardinals?