1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formality Scale of Hats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dragon, Jul 4, 2006.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

What is a good summer hat for use with a suit? Like if you had to stand in the sun at a graduation or wedding. Is a Panama not formal enough?

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Of true summer hats for men, I think the Panama is easily the most formal and elegant. The really high-quality ones cost an arm and leg--well into the low four figures.

By way of contrast, I think anything much more than $400 for a fur felt hat (and a pure beaver one at that) gets into the realm of gouging.

As for the difference between a fedora and a trilby, I think a trilby is a variant of the fedora that is generally softer, has a relatively narrow brim and hatband and is most commonly brown. Interesting that both got their names from being featured in eponymous theatrical productions.

3. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

What is a good summer hat for use with a suit? Like if you had to stand in the sun at a graduation or wedding. Is a Panama not formal enough?

I'd agree with Jan that a panama should be fine; I regularly wear mine to the office in the summer with a suit. An alternative would be a very lightweight felt hat if you felt uncomfortable with thr light colour of the panama. Alternatively, I seem to remember having seen dyed straw hats on sale recently; a dark straw hat might be another way of approaching the question.

Anthony.

4. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Is it taboo to wear a light to cream colored hat with a dark suit?

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

No.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Al Capone favored pured white hats with dark suits, not that I would necessarily single him out as an arbiter elegantiae!

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've seen Panamas that cost $20,000.

8. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

I would say not, but if you feel you would be uncomfortable with the look, you could approach it by going for a lighter shade, say taupe or light grey, with a dark band - Hochswender's "Men in Style" (a book of 1930s-50s men's fashion illustrations) has one nice picture which shows a lightish brown hat with a black band, whilst my current favourite hat is light grey with a charcoal grey band.

Anthony.

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

On many Panamas, (e.g. Dobbs) the band can be changed quite easily. Generally, I'd think it's correct to wear a Panama with a dark suit, especially if the hat has a dark band. (Done it myself with no ill effect)