• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formality of Different Toe Styles

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With everything else being equal, what are the formality of different types of shoe toe? Specifically, I am thinking about these style (also, this is my ranking from most formal to most casual)

Formal:
- Plain toe
- Traditional cap toe

Business Casual:
- Wingtip

Casual:
- Moc-toe
- Split toe
- Bicycle toe

What are you guys' opinions?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is my loose hierarchy:

23925131_78d80c1e30.jpg

flippershoes.jpg

116-164_large.jpg

camel_toes.jpg

- B

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
116-164_large.jpg

What's the name of this style? Yellow-Nosed Reindeer? or non-Moccasin front Split-toe?

bc78

Reaction score
Would you say that camel toe is most or least formal?

- B

Depends who is wearing it, of course.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, all jokes aside please. Can someone gives some useful inputs?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
how does brogue/medallions affect formality?

I'm not quite sure, but I don't think they affect formality at all.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

Use search? I'm pretty sure Manton has discussed this once or twice. For what it's worth, I think that socal's shoes of many colors are more formal than the camel toe.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

When you think of formality of shoes, think of the history of shoes. Town shoes are derived from riding boots and court shoes.

Riding boot:

252515596_eHHrq-L.jpg

Note closed lacing, cap toe, no brogueing.

Court shoe:

500081301_nyeTN-L.jpg

Note cap toe, no lacing.

So, the most formal town shoe is the cap toe oxxford/balmoral, in black, with no broguing, with a balmoral boot slightly more formal still because of its earlier connection with riding boots. The most formal evening shoe is the non-court version of the court shoe, the bowed pump. Men of means rode horses or in carriages.

Removing the cap makes the shoe less formal. So does adding broguing, which is an element of country shoes that have over time come into town use.

Moccasin or stitched lake construction add further informality, as are any country shoe influences from hinterland areas, like Norway, Maine, Provence, Tuscany or wherever Kenneth Cole came from.

How's that?

- B

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Removing the cap makes the shoe less formal.

Now that's something interesting that I didn't know. I will take your words for this.

So does adding broguing, which is an element of country shoes that have over time come into town use.

Moccasin or stitched lake construction add further informality, as are any country shoe influences from hinterland areas, like Norway, Maine, Provence, Tuscany or wherever Kenneth Cole came from.

How's that?

- B

So basically, given that the shoes are oxfords/balmorals, cap toe will be the most formal, plain toe will be second, and every thing else with added seams/broguing/moccasin will be less formal, if not informal.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, vox went from snark to serious in one post. impressive.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wholecuts are the most formal.

And adornment lessens formality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads