• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

formal wear

cyberfirez

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i need your help immediately!!!!
frown.gif

i am going to have a formal party very soon and im 15-17 years old.

I wonder if this would look good : black suit with blue pin stripes (from far the stripes arent really visible)
White dress shirt- kent collar- blue stripes
light blue tie and feint white flowers. ( not really visible, only at different angles with the help of light: if you know what i mean).
balck belt
dark brown shoes DARRKK
i wonder if i will look weird it's my first time im reall freaking out... :S the guy at the shops sed it wood look good but i tink it looks too buisness'ey

thanks ALOTTT reply asap please??
smile.gif

lordofpi

Reaction score
Supposing for a moment that you are serious, are you the one throwing the party, or are you going to be in a attendance? If the latter, you will be very underdressed. A formal party indicates black tie (i.e., a tuxedo) at its least formal.

If the former is true, I'll let the others deal with your choice of attire. Best of luck.

cyberfirez

Reaction score
This is only a school formal(teachers are the hosts) as anything is accepted unless your in jeans track suits etc. what im wearing is what we are supposed to wear,
How ever , i reall want to know if they match and if will look good

This reply is for lordofpi

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest it does look a little too businessy, though you might be dressed better than 90% of the people at the party. Pinstripes are very business (exclusion being morning dress trousers.) Firstly, match your belt to your shoes, wear black ones. If you can, wear a plain white shirt, and wear a white folded cotton pocketsquare. Take a few good pics of the outfit so we can gauge the fit. In a perfect world, you'd wear a tuxedo (and so would everyone else
tongue.gif
)

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lordofpi
Supposing for a moment that you are serious, are you the one throwing the party, or are you going to be in a attendance? If the latter, you will be very underdressed. A formal party indicates black tie (i.e., a tuxedo) at its least formal.

If the former is true, I'll let the others deal with your choice of attire. Best of luck.

If its probably a school formal (or ball), everyone usually throws on a business suit. There will be a lot of dancing, loud music and alot of horny teenagers.

The douches will come in bright *insert colour here* suits. Or tracksuits.
lol8[1].gif

lordofpi

Reaction score
Got it. Well, Zenny has it pretty spot on. You say a guy in a store says it will look good. May I ask which store? I am assuming you do not yet own the suit? Either way, be sure that the suit is tailored properly, show about 1/2 inch of shirt cuff in your jacket sleeves, keep trouser break to a minimum, and wear your trousers at proper waist height (rather than at your hips; suit pants are not meant to rest here); shoes same as belt, socks same as trousers.

As was already said, you are already way ahead of what everyone else will likely be wearing, but why not make it the best you can. Pics will definitely help.

cyberfirez

Reaction score
Well, the suit is perfectly tailored, but im affraid that my belt is not as dark in color as my shoes - my belt's brown is slightly lighter what should i do now?? ...

and my light blue tie has l feint flowers, im scared people will laugh. the feint white flowers are a pattern and they blend in with the blue on the tie,( you know how boys feel about flowers?)....

. im just afraid all over about :
the buisness look:

shoes and belt color ( dark dark brown shoes and blak belt won't look the worst would it?) ;

and also afraid of looking really baddd,

should i button my 2 button suit by the way?

Maybe im just not use to the look of looking older. The suit makes me look like im an older person.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cyberfirez
Well, the suit is perfectly tailored, but im affraid that my belt is not as dark in color as my shoes - my belt's brown is slightly lighter what should i do now?? ...

and my light blue tie has l feint flowers, im scared people will laugh. the feint white flowers are a pattern and they blend in with the blue on the tie,( you know how boys feel about flowers?)....

. im just afraid all over about :
the buisness look:

shoes and belt color ( dark dark brown shoes and blak belt won't look the worst would it?) ;

and also afraid of looking really baddd,

should i button my 2 button suit by the way?

Maybe im just not use to the look of looking older. The suit makes me look like im an older person.

Looking older is never a bad thing. And don't worry about the tie, girls will love the flowers. My paisley and floral ties get me the most compliments from women. And I'm 18 year old undergrad BTW.

Button only the top button of your 2 button suit. It's a rule.

The shoe issue is up to you, personally I wouldn't ever wear brown shoes with a black suit. I wore black chucks to one of my school formals when I was 16.
redface.gif

"and also afraid of looking really baddd, "

And I don't get that line, how are you going to look "really baddd"?

And personally, I'd like to see how the "perfectly tailored" suit fits you.

Another small thing, use spell check.

cyberfirez

Reaction score
Sorry about the spelling,
So, do you think black belt and dark brown sheos will be okay? Because for some reason, my belt has a black and brown side and both is useable. HOwever! the brown is a lighter brown than my shoes. Having said that, won't a brown belt and black suit look funny??

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shoes and belt should match. That said, if you keep your jacket buttoned at all times and your belt is never visible, you could get away with it.

dopamine

Reaction score
im 15-17 years old.

You're not sure how old you are? By the way, I'd refrain from spamming consonants and vowels in your sentences.

cyberfirez

Reaction score
The belt is a bit browner than that and the shoes are at darker, the flash of my camera did something to it

Im confused that people say black suits dont go with brown belts and it looks silly

i don't know if the up load worked... :S

dopamine

Reaction score
The belt is a bit browner than that and the shoes are at darker, the flash of my camera did something to it Im confused that people say black suits dont go with brown belts and it looks silly i don't know if the up load worked... :S
The upload did not work. One of the first fashion rules you'll learn on here is that brown belts and shoes will ALMOST never go with a black suit. You have to be very advanced with a strong personal sense of style to pull that off, and given your age (although I'm not much older than you) and what you're asking for on the forum, that's probably not where you're at right now. If you want something safe to go with your black suit, I'd wear: 1. A clean, pressed white shirt. 2. A clean white pocket square. 3. Matching black belt with silver buckle and a pair of black oxfords. 4. Choose a good tie. Don't go for something too wide, and at your age (depending on your build), something on the skinny side would probably work best. *edit* I didn't notice that you said your suit was pinstriped. I would then go with a dark tie, perhaps dark red with a small repeating dotted pattern.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
You're not sure how old you are? By the way, I'd refrain from spamming consonants and vowels in your sentences.

I chose to ignore the age thing. I had a snarky comment ready, but the kid is young, WAX ON WAX OFF.

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads