1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formal Wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cigarguy_MI, Apr 13, 2005.

1. cigarguy_MI

cigarguy_MI Member

I am in the market for a new Tuxedo. Any suggestions? Is double breasted out?

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, it's fine; great look, plus with DB you skip the vest or cummerbund.

3. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

During a prior discussion of dinner jackets I seem to recall a collective fit over the detail of shawl or notched collars. Exactly which one of these options inspired such furor?

4. Manton

Notched.  Bad.  Wrong.  Ugly.  Incorrtect.

5. cigarguy_MI

cigarguy_MI Member

So, let me get this straight - I should be looking for a double breasted shawl collared tux....

6. Manton

Double-breasted peak or shawl lapel. Peak looks sharper. Some real sticklers would say that shawl lapels are not appropriate on a DB DJ. I would not go that far. But unless you already have a more traditional DJ, or are just a real adventurous kind of guy, I would argue that peak is the better, more sensible choice.

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

you've got 4 options. 1) single breasted peak, 2) double breasted peak, 3) single breasted shawl, 4) double breasted shawl. so double breasted is not out.

Btw - the above is my order of preference for a first tux purchase. I only have a notched tux, which manton will tell you is wrong (if he hasn't already). I'll agree that a peak or shawl is much, much better looking.

8. StagRaven

StagRaven Well-Known Member

Manton made me get a SB Peak lapel DJ. At least, that's what I told my fiance. [​IMG] No, she was there, and reluctantly agreed that it was worth the extra money we put into it because it looked so good. Ended up spending $800 on just the jacket/pants, and since we got it at my favorite little menswear shop, alterations to make it perfect were free. The 'rents are bringing it to campus this Saturday, along with my new suit and new Army A's. New clothes all over the place. Will post pics.

9. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Please do.

10. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

SB peak lapel is a great look.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I personally lie both the (Mantonially correct) singlebreasted peak and shawl lapel. The latter is more dramatic, the latter more elegant. Personally, I chose the latter, if just because the peaked lapel is becoming so ubiquitous.