• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

FORMAL WEAR! Black Tie. Need help!

Elegantly Defined

Reaction score
I need some advice and suggestions! I am currently in the market for a tuxedo, along with the common asscociated accesories and shoes.

I'm thinking of a single button peak label jacket. Tie or Bow Tie? What are appropriete patterns..colors? Is an ascot considered formal?

I would love to see some links of recommendations for the above.

Thanks SF

Mark from Plano

Lifestyle change - no homo
Reaction score
All your questions will be answered here:

www.blacktieguide.com

Bow ties only. Long ties with a tux marks you as an amateur; patterns and colors (generally) as a rookie. Black tie means black (bow) tie. There are ways to add some interest, but not by messing with the basics.

It's all about elegance.

DouggiePhresh

Reaction score
Single Breast 1 Button Shawl Lapel. White pique, french cuff, turndown collar shirt. Black (satin, silk or grosgrain, whichever matches the lapel material) bowtie and matching cummerbund.
Ebony studs with matching links.
Patent leatcher slip ons with grosgrain ribbon.

Classic.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
All your questions will be answered here:

www.blacktieguide.com

Bow ties only. Long ties with a tux marks you as an amateur; patterns and colors (generally) as a rookie. Black tie means black (bow) tie. There are ways to add some interest, but not by messing with the basics.

It's all about elegance.

+1. And please, for the love of God, tie your own bowtie. I went to a blacktie event last weekend and I'd guess approximately 80% of the guys there had clipons (there was probably 500 of them total). I even had one (older) guy remark after I told him I learned to tie my own bowtie, "really? I didn't know you could still get those bowties."

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 39 17.0%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Carmina

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 75 32.8%