• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal waistcoats: Woutld this work?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was trying to think of whether there were any options other than plain black satin or white pique that would work for a formal waistcoat. Would something like this do it, or too much color/too high cut:

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/PATRIZ...V/sts/sr_men80

Was also thinking of black jacquard paisley (like the one Ben Silver is showing) but would rather go with an ultra burgundy or similar.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The answer is yes. A colored formal vest can work. I think that Flusser's rule is that you should limit yourself to one item of color and that items should be surrounded by black, so a vest or cummerbund would work. However the tie should always remain black. No matching sets. There are Apparel Arts plates around that show a black dinner jacket with a solid burgundy vest. Here's something on this from www.blacktieguide.com :
Originally Posted by blacktieguide.com
Adding Color While color is the simplest way to customize a black-tie ensemble, its indiscreet use is the most common culprit in degrading the tuxedo from elegant formal attire to a sophomoric prom costume. In Dressing the Man, classic menswear authority Alan Flusser offers some simple advice for avoiding this pitfall: *use only one colored accessory: “Injecting more than one contrasting accessory into the two-color format fragments its formal integrity into smaller, less important pieces.” *surround the color with black: “By limiting your selection to only those components predominantly bordered by black, such as the waistcoat, cummerbund, dress shirt or pocket square, you have ensured that this single dollop of dissonance remains part of the whole.” (Note that the bow tie is not included in the list of suggested accessories.) *use deep, rich colors: “The tonalities capable of enriching this already dramatic, high-contrast composition are those registering an equal degree of pluck and richness.” Plum, bottle green, deep gold and dark red are classic examples.

Matt S

Reaction score
That colour can work, and the 3-button front is perfect. However, typically an evening waistcoat has shawl lapels or no lapels. The peak lapels here are too narrow and the lapel roll is way too much. I think the biggest problem here is that the waistcoat has a collar. It looks like it was designed as a fashion piece to be worn without a jacket.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
That colour can work, and the 3-button front is perfect. However, typically an evening waistcoat has shawl lapels or no lapels. The peak lapels here are too narrow and the lapel roll is way too much. I think the biggest problem here is that the waistcoat has a collar. It looks like it was designed as a fashion piece to be worn without a jacket.

Yea, I am really not sure about that particular one, but that was the closest I could find to an example of what I was looking for. I doubt the material would look good for a formal either, it says satin but I think it would be too matte a finish as well (and not in love with the idea of a synthetic blend waistcoat).

But at least I have a stylistic jumping off point.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I found another style I like:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_261415

but does anyone know where to get something like this in a lower cut (more similar to a white tie waist coat), and preferably a bit higher quality for the money (or same quality for less money)? And yes, I've seen the one Ben Silver is showing, I just don't want to drop $300 on a tux waist covering...

I'd also be interested in a cummerbund in that sort of pattern.

All the colored waist coats I see look too much like prom rentals, but I want something that stands out a little bit from the rest of the tux, and I also want to avoid solid black silk/satin since it won't be an exact match for the lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads