• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal vest questions

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grosgrain lapel-facings on my tux, turndown collar and pique front on my shirt, what is the best option for vest?

I'm thinking black grosgrain. Should it have lapels? What kind?

Should it be visible when the jacket is buttoned? Does it matter?

Where can I get one that goes with my tux/shirt? I checked w/ RL and BB, who didn't have any RTW options I liked. For those of you sellers on the board, I'm a 42L. Might be in NYC this weekend, so could check out places there.

pvpatty

Reaction score
If it was me, I'd probably go for a shawl lapel on the waistcoat. Not sure about colour though; full grosgrain seems a bit much.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RLPL makes a low-cut, backless, black grosgrain vest with shawl lapels. I purchased one several months ago. It is a classic look that paired nicely with my single-button, peak lapel coat. Here's one on ebay in a 44, which may fit you, as it can be adjusted in the back. It's marked down from $395 to about $109.99 BIN. Great price. Highly recommended. http://cgi.ebay.com/395-Purple-Label...2em118Q2el1247

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
RLPL makes a low-cut, backless, black grosgrain vest with shawl lapels. I purchased one several months ago. It is a classic look that paired nicely with my single-button, peak lapel coat.

Here's one on ebay in a 44, which may fit you, as it can be adjusted in the back. It's marked down from $395 to about $109.99 BIN. Great price. Highly recommended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/395-Purple-Label...2em118Q2el1247

I actually bought this exact vest from the RL in Boston and ended up returning it because the black did not match the black of my tux (blue label). It was substantially lighter, almost brown. Is this not your experience? Could mine have been an anomaly?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
I actually bought this exact vest from the RL in Boston and ended up returning it because the black did not match the black of my tux (blue label). It was substantially lighter, almost brown. Is this not your experience? Could mine have been an anomaly?

I have a RLPL tux and this RLPL vest. The blacks do not match. Nor do either match my black grosgrain bow tie. They are not that far off, so it doesn't really bother me. It will be impossible to buy an odd vest for a tuxedo and expect the fabric to match. And you'll drive yourself crazy if you try to get it as exact as possible.

I didn't find my vest to be substantially lighter in color than my tux. I can't imagine your experience was an anomaly, though, as I'm sure all those vests are reasonably close in color. I probably just have less exacting standards in terms of matching the fabrics.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
RLPL makes a low-cut, backless, black grosgrain vest with shawl lapels. I purchased one several months ago. It is a classic look that paired nicely with my single-button, peak lapel coat.

There was one on ebay in a 44, which may fit you, as it can be adjusted in the back. It's marked down from $395 to about $109.99 BIN. Great price. Highly recommended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/395-Purple-Label...2em118Q2el1247

Fixed.
peepwall[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ouch, I owe you one!

Sorry. He who hesitates, etc. And you seemed ambivalent about it. Was surprised it was still there. You want I should let you know if I don't keep it? I have a Brooks vest too, but you said you didn't like that one, right?

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I wear a tuxedo half a dozen times a year, planning on more.

I have the accessories to put together the following:
1. Full traditional wing collar white shirt, self tie black silk bowtie, black cummerbund, onyx studs/links
2. Ivory turndown collar, self tie black silk bowtie, ivory on white paisley formal v-opening waistcoat, mop studs/links

DJ is peak lapel, silk faced.

What would be the next purchase to give me more variety in my look while remaining stylish? Black shawl lapel waistcoat like the one we're describing here?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Sorry. He who hesitates, etc. And you seemed ambivalent about it. Was surprised it was still there. You want I should let you know if I don't keep it? I have a Brooks vest too, but you said you didn't like that one, right?

I was kidding. Enjoy the vest. I'm a free market kind of guy, and yes, I was ambivalent.

beirut

Reaction score
Grosgrain lapel-facings on my tux, turndown collar and pique front on my shirt, what is the best option for vest?

Your waistcoat should be either silk, or the same material as your dinner jacket. Because your jacket has grosgrain lapel-facings your waistcoat should also be grosgrain.

According to the Black Tie Guide:
"(The) most traditional style of waistcoat has lapels, is low cut and is fastened with three closely spaced buttons for single-breasted models and six buttons for double-breasted."

So, if your going for a more classic black tie look, go with lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads