• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Spanish Wedding Attire

Would you consider this a formal look?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Not for this event

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

shep88ner

Reaction score
Hello all!

In a couple weeks I am attending a traditional Spanish wedding in Spain where formality is priority #1 (women are encouraged to wear fascinators). I found a look I really liked online (image attached) with a blue jacket, dark grey pants, light grey vest, and blue tie. I have basically recreated this look for the wedding, with the only exception being the pants are solid and the jacket is more hopsack whereas in this image the coat is solid.

I only recently saw on the wedding website they do not want informal wear and specifically called out jeans, tennis shoes, khaki, and blazers/sportcoats. I then realized that technically the coat I was going to wear is a blazer but I wanted your opinions on the formality of the outfit in total with the vest and dark formal pants.

Personally I think it's a very formal look, more so than my regular black suit, but wanted to see what you all think.

Thanks guys!

untitled.png

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not Spanish. But, given the strict call-out against blazers/sportcoats I could see where it's an iffy proposition. A matched suit seems like a much safer approach.

RoseGardener

Reaction score
Hello all!

In a couple weeks I am attending a traditional Spanish wedding in Spain where formality is priority #1 (women are encouraged to wear fascinators). I found a look I really liked online (image attached) with a blue jacket, dark grey pants, light grey vest, and blue tie. I have basically recreated this look for the wedding, with the only exception being the pants are solid and the jacket is more hopsack whereas in this image the coat is solid.

I only recently saw on the wedding website they do not want informal wear and specifically called out jeans, tennis shoes, khaki, and blazers/sportcoats. I then realized that technically the coat I was going to wear is a blazer but I wanted your opinions on the formality of the outfit in total with the vest and dark formal pants.

Personally I think it's a very formal look, more so than my regular black suit, but wanted to see what you all think.

Thanks guys!

View attachment 1151717

There's a way to leverage the grey trousers and vest, just get a morning coat to go with your pants and vest, oh and a new neck wear.

Here two middle aged English dudes:
prince-harry-morning-suit-pippa-middleton-wedding-a.jpg

black-cutaway-jacket_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

kazusano

Reaction score
There's a way to leverage the grey trousers and vest, just get a morning coat to go with your pants and vest, oh and a new neck wear.

Here two middle aged English dudes:
prince-harry-morning-suit-pippa-middleton-wedding-a.jpg

black-cutaway-jacket_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I believe that is a "morning suit," and this post -- https://www.katestraveltips.com/2017/04/29/what-to-wear-to-a-wedding-in-spain/ --says (last bullet point under "Fashion Rules...") that the poster has seen men wear morning suits to Spanish weddings if it's a day wedding.

The down side is that (unless you socialize in a completely different way than I do!) you need a "morning coat" (note the tails on the jacket that make it a morning suit vs. the suit jacket that you are wearing in your pictures) for that to be considered a morning suit. Yu're really never going to wear a morning suit again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_dress

Fun learning about Spanish wedding customs! Wish American wedding were like that. Would make it easier for me to convince my wife that I really do need that morning suit! :cool:

Last edited:

RoseGardener

Reaction score
I believe that is a "morning suit," and this post says (last bullet point under "Fashion Rules...") that the poster has seen men wear morning suits to Spanish weddings if it's a day wedding.

The down side is that (unless you socialize in a completely different way than I do!) you need a morning coat for that to be considered a morning suit, and you're really never going to wear that again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_dress

Fun learning about Spanish wedding customs! Wish American wedding were like that. Would make it easier for me to convince my wife that I really do need that morning suit! :cool:

I agree with the usage or lack of.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Based on my experience in Spain, dark (often navy) suits are the safest bet. Personally, I do like the look you posted in that first picture and if you can get your hands on a more elegant jacket rather than hop sack, you could still get by looking well dressed... and you still have the excuse of not being from Spain ;-)

kazusano

Reaction score
Based on my experience in Spain, dark (often navy) suits are the safest bet. Personally, I do like the look you posted in that first picture and if you can get your hands on a more elegant jacket rather than hop sack, you could still get by looking well dressed... and you still have the excuse of not being from Spain ;-)

Ha ha ha! Meaning that the Spanish guests are going to think, "what is that guy wearing ? Maybe he think it's a morning suit? Oh, turns out he's from America. Oh, okay, he doesn't know any better. Nobody say anything to embarrass him; he's a friend of the groom. Those Americans sure are funny!"

;-)

Maybe that's my paranoia speaking. I agree with Anachronist that it is a nice look, but perhaps you should save it for a different occasion. I also agree with the Anachronist's first suggestion: Wear a dark suit.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t want to use a morning suit as most of the male guest will wear, a dark suit - grey or navy - is your best option. Try to avoid black that it’s intended for funerals, not appropriate for a wedding in Spain.

Pinstripe Yuppie Co

Reaction score
Hello all!

Thanks guys!

View attachment 1151717
The best option is a Navy Suit, only the Groom wears Morning suit, not always but usually do.

A typical Spanish wedding man dress like this:

rafae-laura.jpg

Always Black shoes, formal tie, cufflinks and usually suspenders and PS.
Hope it helps.

Cheers from Spain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads