Formal Shirts: Buttons or no?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dorian, Apr 7, 2005.

1. dorian

dorian Senior member

Opinions?

It is odd, I find, that I've seen not one formal shirt from Borrelli, for example, that doesn't have buttons. This is quite fine with me, really, but how correct is it, after all?

I'll soon need to purchase a new formal shirt, and I am leaning toward Borrelli (with buttons), so your opinions would be most appreciated.

Edit: Would anyone agree that buttons are less formal? (Much easier though...)

2. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Buttons, unless a hidden (fly) front, are wrong. Not just a little bit ... just ... wrong.

However, we sometimes make a mostly hidden button formal shirt with three black pearl shank (tiger eye) buttons showing where the studs would normally go. Also, we supply all of our formal shirts with a "button strip" - a piece of cotton twill binding with three black pearl shank buttons sewn to it for use instead of studs when necessary.

3. dorian

dorian Senior member

Alex, any suggestions on where to go for proper formal shirts in NYC? (I don't think one of your beautiful creations is in the cards this time [​IMG] someday soon, however...)

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Oh, absolutely. Which is precisely why they are wrong. Except, maybe, on a fly-front linen summer formal shirt.

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. dorian

dorian Senior member

Traditional pleats or plain fine line pique... I'm having difficulty decided on type of collar; would a winged or semi-spread collar be best? Heck, I can't even find proper shirts in nyc. I wish hadn't gotten a fatter neck so I wouldn't have to worry about finding a new shirt. [​IMG]

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Go to J. Press if you are looking for something, ahem... traditional. Studs, etc...

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Only get a wing if you're going to do it right: stiff, high, large detachable collar, with big wings that can stand up to the bow tie. And even then, only with single-peak DJ's, vests, and 100% traditional kit. For all practical purposes, the spread is better alternative.

9. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Isn't a spread collar a bad choice with a bow tie? At least that's what I read/heard. the rationale being that a collar that's not too spread would provide more support to the bow tie.

Mathieu

10. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored