• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formal shirts - buttoned collars?

pkiula

Reaction score
Hi. I was in Tokyo recently and in some of the very high end fashion stores, saw business shirts made for suits with collars that have buttons. They're semi wide spread, and still have buttons. The look is pretty sharp, but to be honest I thought formal business shirts don't have buttoned collars? Have I been self-imposing a rule that doesn't exist?

Will C.

Reaction score
It's not your made-up rule, but's it's a rule that's made to broken- you can find an interesting picture of Fred Astaire in a suit and button-down shirt. I personally dislike the style though.

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Recently BD shirts, contrast collars, and colorful buttonholes/threads are very popular in Japan. So this might be the reason for your sighting.

IMHO the BD shirts are perfectly fine, but most guys cannot pull off the contrast collar look, and they just look awful.
The colorful buttonholes only drag your attention to how ugly the buttonholes/cheap plastic buttons are (in most cases).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.