• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Shirt Collars

ExpatLondon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long-time reader, first-time poster...

A while back at a formal event, I noticed someone wearing a shirt with a stiff collar similar to a mandarin collar (i.e., no wings or fold-down), but it was about double the height of a mandarin (probably about 2-3 inches). Does anyone know what that collar is called? I think it would be typically worn with tails. I would like to find the shirt, but have been unable to online. I may end up going for a bespoke shirt to get the collar right, but I don't know what to ask for. Can anyone help with this? Thanks...

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Like this?

co101.jpg

It's a detached stiff collar; you'd want to have a collarless shirt with holes for the studs.

The Vintage Shirt Company sells them but it's a very specific late 1800's look. You'd definitely need to know what you were doing and even then be hard pressed to not appear to be wearing a costume.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
It's often called an Imperial collar; as illustrated by larsrindig, you would really need to have a detachable stiff collar to get the true effect. Here's a selection of photographs including a vintage collar in this style: http://uk.geocities.com/anthony_hugh...g_Collars.html

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have made this collar that is attached to the shirt.
sorry to disapoint those obsessed with removable collars.
I have made this for both theatre, where the wardrobe department did not want to deal with removable collars, as well as several individuals who found the removable collars uncomfortable.
we use heavy fusables to acheive the look.
Carl

ExpatLondon

Reaction score
Indeed, it appears that I am looking for the Imperial collar. It sounds like it may be too difficult to pull off? Thanks for the responses; very helpful.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
It might be worth thinking of a high wing collar like the Grafton (available from New & Lingwood and Ede & Ravenscroft) instead - it is distinctive without standing out excessively. That said, I believe that the wing collar is simply a descendant of the stand collar, so you could argue that you are simply going back to the earlier, purer form...

Randel Smith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ExpatLondon
Indeed, it appears that I am looking for the Imperial collar. It sounds like it may be too difficult to pull off? Thanks for the responses; very helpful.
Hi, if you contact Kathryn at Vintage Shirt she will supply the correct shirt and any collars wanted. I deal in these things a lot and provide re-starching using specialized equipment. These are the only correct shirts for formal wear, regardless of modern attempts to discard them. For most occasions you may want a wing, since it does hold the bow tie in place a bit better due to the 'wings'. You will need what is properly termed a neck band shirt, in your exact modern collar size and then each collar is one half size larger, to account for the need of setting over the circumference of neckband on the shirt. Formal shirts are the stiff front, starched ones she carries, used for full dress with white or black tie and the required evening cut waistcoat, which displays the bosom of the shirt. The modern 'Mandarin' formal shirt is just a current attempt to imitate what you have already noticed. The real thing, a detachable stiff collar. (They must be detachable to allow the special starching and ironing, which no one could do if it was sewn to any shirt; once removed any collar can then be worked flat, you see). Feel free to drop me a line if you or anyone else wants to know more. Regards, Randel Smith Friendswood, Texas

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics