• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

formal/prom idea of todays youth

gian

Reaction score
an 18 yr old girl was discussing her ideas for what her and her bf would wear at their formal (thats a prom for our american friends) and to me the ideas seemed hideous, and i annoyed her with a lecture in appropriateness. anyway i am just posting to get your ideas on it to see if my disgust was justified.

for her:
she was wearing a red dress not dissimilar to the one shown below. which in my opinion would look stunning on her, the thing that i was appaled with was what shoes she planned to wear. WHITE AIR FORCE ONES.

for him:
she doesn't even want him to wear a suit, she's designing him a silver/white 3 button vest with epaulets and shoulder pads. with black pants.

i hope i did not lecture her without it being justified.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bother. It's prom, they're highschool students, why waste your time? The majority dresses horribly and think they can substitute fit with tackiness. Don't lecture people either, it comes off as arrogant and condescending. Just accept it, and in 20 years everyone will agree that you looked better.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Don't bother. It's prom, they're highschool students, why waste your time? The majority dresses horribly and think they can substitute fit with tackiness. Don't lecture people either, it comes off as arrogant and condescending. Just accept it, and in 20 years everyone will agree that you looked better.

+1

gian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

im a little old to be going to proms.. but she is such a sweet girl, and a good friend, and she usually has better style than most. it came as a surprise and i was trying to stop her from making a mistake.

smoothie

Reaction score
I went to both my 8th grade and highschool prom in a white zoot suit, with a cane and hat to match.

Don't regret it one bit.

I looked sharp as hell.

The prom is no longer a black tie formal. It's a fashion show. Accept it for what it is.

Stop being a prune. You want no physical contact when they dance at the prom too?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are they? Maybe they are super intelligent and finish high school with 7 or so.
(basically for my ego) That were some of my ideas...

(19)
823_10_02_08_10_01_06.JPG

(20)
823_26_05_08_11_40_49_1.jpg

(46)
2r3z6a0.jpg

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
She's designing him a custom suit for the evening?

for him:
she doesn't even want him to wear a suit, she's designing him a silver/white 3 button vest with epaulets and shoulder pads. with black pants.

I think he should get someone else.

Eccentric

Reaction score
The big thing at my senior prom was the men matching their date's dresses with their improperly styled waistcoats. I still have no idea where that abomination of a trend originated, though I was lucky enough to know better.

Doc4

Reaction score
the solution? ... take lo-o-o-o-ts of photos for blackmail in years to come.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wore a traditional tux to my senior prom.
bigstar[1].gif

Then I laughed at the 10 odd guys that had rented the same stupid white with black pinstripe zoot suits with top hat and cane.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
im a little old to be going to proms.. but she is such a sweet girl, and a good friend, and she usually has better style than most. it came as a surprise and i was trying to stop her from making a mistake.

Don't sweat it, if she's fine with it just let it be.

Originally Posted by ohm
It could be worse.
Note: yes, that's duct tape's 10oz summer weave.

It's a scholarship contest, don't judge.

Originally Posted by smoothie
I went to both my 8th grade and highschool prom in a white zoot suit, with a cane and hat to match.

Don't regret it one bit.

I looked sharp as hell.

No one has looks good in a zoot suit.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
she doesn't even want him to wear a suit, she's designing him a...

Excuse me? Was the flower of the Western World lost in World War II or something? I am so sick of scenarios like this, and it has gotten progressively worse over the past fifty years. Why are men ashamed to act as men?

When we go out for affairs, my wife wears a dress to complement some element of what I am wearing, not the other way around. I'm sorry to run off-topic, but this is utterly absurd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads