• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Event wear

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice sought on formalwear purchase. I'll be attending a "Ball" in February; it's a yearly thing at my alma mater (I'm 24, class of '02). Dress code is... unspecified, but there are usually people in everything, from tuxes to chinos, with the majority on the more formal side. I've always worn a rental tux, mainly because my significant other worked at a rental place for awhile and they were free. However, that gravy train has been derailed, so I'm on my own this year. Also, my weight/measurements fluctuated a lot in school, but now I'm a pretty solid 42r/36w. My question: I don't have a lot to spend - $400 is my hard and fast limit. I go to this event every year, but otherwise don't attend a lot of formal events, although the age of weddings is pending. Do you think I'd be better off buying a tux, from, say, JosABank, or a black suit (which I don't have) that I could wear to work, from Filene's maybe... or something else altogether. I don't think anything I have right now could be mixed/matched for this... Â
confused.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am in the minority here in hating black suits. I am a traditionalist: black is for formal wear.

If you think that you will have occasion to wear a tux even as little as twice a year for the next several years, it is well worth the investment. Brooks Brothers has some traditionally styled tuxedos. Probably a little higher than $400, but not outrageously so.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree here (as seems to be often) with Manton, I don't like black suits, and I think that you will want to own your own tux.

ViroBono

Reaction score
A black suit worn with bow tie etc. looks dreadful.

As has been mentioned, buying a dinner jacket now is worthwhile, and you will quickly recoup the cost in not having to hire. You will do so doubly quickly, because of the curious American habit of wearing evening clothes during the day, at weddings. You will look so much better in a suit of your own, as you can have it tailored.

Don't forget the finishing touches - a self-tied bow tie, and a silk pocket-handkerchief in either white or red.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree - buy a tuxedo. Won't ever go out of style if you get something classic. I go to many black tie events, but I would have a tuxedo even if I only went to a few. It will pay for itself in no time at all.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, fellas, I appreciate the input. Black suit is less desirable. So for the tux, should I get one, I need to determine details.

- I think two button, single breast, peak lapel (is this normal? is DB normal?) maybe two button notch, though that says suit. How many vents is classic? I wouldn't be against a one button if it looked good on me, but I dunno about the shawl collar.

- Plain front pants, no cuffs.

- I have several pairs of black laceups, are patent shoes required?

- I have a black cummerbund/self-tie bow tie, and a wool set in blue/red/yellow plaid... recommendations on accompanying vests/cummerbunds?

I'm going to check out the DC Filene's (and maybe Towson, MD) around xmas. Any other recommendations? Like I said, $400 is my limit, that, unfortunately, has to be pretty hard and fast.

Thanks.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Shoreman -

If you don't go to a lot of formal events, other than this yearly ball, I would recommend the black suit.

IMHO - a black suit would be a lot more useful than a tux. You're right in thinking that you can use it for work or going out a lot more than you would ever use the tuxedo.

You can always dress it up more with accessories for your formal events and dress it down more for work or casual type work.

Full disclosure - I am sitting at my desk today wearing a black suit over a black t-shirt and a gray lightweight wool v-neck sweater, so perhaps I'm a bit biased today.

FYI - for most weddings you probably won't be wearing a tux unless you're the groom.

Bradford

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, I am far too uncertain on this subject, in the end it'll probably come down to what's available in Filene's when I go, and how flexible my credit card is. But advice on the choice and styling points is still appreciated, thanks Bradford etc...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think two button, single breast, peak lapel (is this normal? is DB normal?) maybe two button notch, though that says suit. How many vents is classic? I wouldn't be against a one button if it looked good on me, but I dunno about the shawl collar.
The one button, single breasted, peak lapel, no vent is classic, but I think two buttons and two vents are okay as well.
I have several pairs of black laceups, are patent shoes required?
No, so long as the laceups are simple and classic, like captoe balmorals.
I have a black cummerbund/self-tie bow tie, and a wool set in blue/red/yellow plaid... recommendations on accompanying vests/cummerbunds?
How about a nice formal vest in a matte gray? Â I bought a dark gray Barneys brand vest for $25 and a light gray Brioni vest for $75, both at Filene's Basement.
I'm going to check out the DC Filene's (and maybe Towson, MD) around xmas. Any other recommendations? Like I said, $400 is my limit, that, unfortunately, has to be pretty hard and fast.
The tuxedos at the DC Filene's are not that great. Â IIRC, most of them are three buttons with notch lapels. Â You may want to check out the consignment stores I listed in this thread. Â I bought a one button, single breasted, peak lapel tuxedo at Act II for $30 and I saw an Armani Black Label tuxedo (unfortunately a 4 x 1 DB) in your size at Second Chance a few weeks ago.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one button, single breasted, peak lapel, no vent is classic, but I think two buttons and two vents are okay as well.

Depends if you mean Alan Flusser classic, continental classic, etc... A classic American tux (such as J Press has been selling for decades) is peaked or shawl lapel, flapped pockets, single vent. I recently went with the shawl lapel version of this (as interpreted by Costume National) because the peaked lapel is becoming so ubiquitous, and was quite surprised at how good it looked. Of course, I'm a reasonably skinny guy, and the cut was really slim with slim lapels by a designer known for good cuts, so mileage may vary.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
According to the "rules" and tradition: 1) Dinner jackets should never have notched lapels.  Peak or shawl only. 2) SB dinner jackets should be one button only.  No vents is preferred, side vents are acceptable. 3) DB dinner jackets are fine, even good.  They eliminate the need for a vest or cummerbund.  Personally, I prefer 6 on 2 but there is precedent (e.g., Bogie in Casablanca) for other button stances. 4) Jacket pockets should not have flaps: besom or jetted pockets only. 5) Pleated trousers are fine, cuffs are not.  No cuffs. 6) If you have a completely plain (no broguing at all) pair of black cap toes, and can polish the bejeezus out of them, then you don't need new shoes.  Traditionally, a plain (i.e., no toe cap) black or patent leather oxford with wide black silk laces, or else a black evening pump, is worn.  But these are not essential. 7) Your tie and cummerbund sound fine.  Not sure what you mean by "wool set."  In any case, if you want a vest, the traditional evening vest is backless and has a low front, the better to show your shirt front and studs.  Black is preferred. White vests are for white tie and tails. Light gray looks, in my opinion, too much like formal day wear. Some dudes like those fancy woven silk vests. If you do that, make sure everything else you wear is strictly black or white. 8) You forgot the shirt.  I would avoid the wing collar shirt, unless you can get one made or can shop in London.  The ones sold in the US have wimply little collars and look awful.  A turndown collar shirt (in white) with a pleated or stiff pique front will do nicely.  (If the front bib is pique, the sleeve cuffs should be, too.  If the front bib is pleated, the cuffs should be plain.)  Ben Silver sells light blue and pink linen evening shirts that look sort of interesting, but I would not wear them in the north and certainly not in the fall or winter.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a one button, single breasted, peak lapel tuxedo at Act II for $30 and I saw an Armani Black Label tuxedo (unfortunately a 4 x 1 DB) in your size at Second Chance a few weeks ago.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a DB, 4 button tuxedo. I recently chose just such a configuration, and couldn't be happier. It is perfect for a smaller frame, and I think looks spectacular. Incidentally, I also opted for midnight blue as opposed to black. In the evening, the color is considered "blacker than black." Here is a picture of it.
b7sdbtux.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Dinner jackets should never have notched lapels. Peak or shawl only.

2) SB dinner jackets should be one button only. No vents is preferred, side vents are acceptable.

4) Jacket pockets should not have flaps: besom or jetted pockets only.

Agree with 1, although notched lapels are becoming the norm, it seems. As for 4 and the second part of 2, that used to be my understanding too; but I've been looking at pictures in the Harvard archives, and it looks like back vents and flapped (but jetted) pockets) seem to have been *preppy* norms for a long time.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, I'm afraid I disagree. I think formal shoes are indeed essential. I know every expert says otherwise, and that you can wear a plain black calfskin shoe with a tuxedo, I disagree. I think it looks extremely silly. Not to mention the number of times I've seen wingtips and the like. If you are going to go to all the trouble of buying one or more tuxedos, buy tuxedo shoes - either patent leather lace-ups or opera pumps with bows. Also, don't forget teh correct hosiery - extremely thin silk hose. I think anything less completely ruins the outfit. When the experts are telling you that you can "get away" with wearing plain black calf lace-ups, that says it all: it looks like you are trying to get away with something. The outfit is incomplete. Just my opinion, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads