• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Client: Need Budget Shirt Recommendations

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I need some recommendations for dress shirts of decent quality, both collar and buttondown, for a fairly formal client. No tie needed all the time but wanted to buy 4-6 shirts in the $70-110 range. I will be traveling a lot and would rather not bring my best shirts for some trips.

Any suggestions for decent quality shirts in this range?

Any suggestions for current websites to check out?

Thanks much,

Lee

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your size? If you might be able to buy some of the shirts while traveling in major markets, you ought to name them here, for store references (and saving on shipping or regional markups).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I vary between a 16.5 and a 17 depending on brand.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's still a very broad query. Presumably the home country is the USA. Charles Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers, and the brands at Nordstrom Rack are respectable options.

Last edited:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

It's still a very broad query. Presumably the home country is the USA. Charles Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers, and the brands at Nordstrom Rack are respectable options.

Not real impressed with the local Nordstrom Rack selection but thanks for the other recommendations.

kirker

Reaction score
Not real impressed with the local Nordstrom Rack selection but thanks for the other recommendations.

FWIW, I always pack Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts while traveling. I also appreciate the fact that they're one of the few American brands of shirts available in a slim (and even extra slim) fit. I'm certainly no skinny hipster, but I have broad shoulders and a moderately slender, gut belly-free torso, so shirts that aren't slim-cut look like crap on me (and add 20 pounds).

BB has two flavors available here: Supima and Egyptian cotton. The Supima line is 3 for $225 and has dozens of styles, including a variety of collars, available. The Egyptian line is *much* nicer in feel ... and also *much* more expensive. Below is an example.

http://bit.ly/13p24Te

If even 3 for $225 is too much, I've had decent luck finding BB shirts on eBay, assuming you don't mind wearing "vintage."

Finally, if you have an upper-end outlet mall near you, you might check there for shirts. The one closest to me has a Zegna outlet - not my personal fave, but my dad likes them and their outlet is a good option for Father's Day and b-day gifts for him.

Subutai

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt, 4 shirts for $199. You can probably even find a plain white for $35. Good shirts, great price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads