• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formal but creative shirts/ties in London

valit

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for ideas for London stores where I can look for formal but creative skinny shirts/ties to go with a skinny suit.

Most stores have very formal shirts (or crazy shirts), I would like a skinny shirt/tie combination that has a bit of personality. I'm not talking crazy patterns but some interesting detail.

Any online inspiration or actual London stores would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Man of Wealth and Taste

Reaction score
This is a very difficult question to answer. Formal, by definition, is not creative. Formal traditionally means white tie. Semi-formal means black tie. Nothing about those are creative. Formal implies a rigorous standard, a uniform almost.

I'm going to assume you mean formal in a colloquial sense, in that for most people, just wearing a suit (or for some, a sports coat) is formal. So if you're looking for dress shirts which are creative, but not crazy patterns, then you're looking for interesting material?

I guess in terms of shirts, a blue herringbone? Maybe a very fine thatch weave of two colours which from a distance looks plain but up close has an interesting texture?

For ties, I find grenadine both dressy and interesting.

Sorry this isn't very helpful, but I'm not sure exactly what it is you're looking for.

valit

Reaction score
Thank you.

This is for the suits my partner and I will be wearing at our wedding so it's not just about being formal but having something quite distinctive.

I think we're finding a solution but it hasn't been easy because even in a city like London there doesn't seem to be much variety when it comes to formal wear.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.