1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formal Black and White - To get a Suit or a Tux?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tordles, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

Really? Not in my day/place.
    Speaking as someone who now attends college in the South I wear it around 4-6 times not counting my school's Fancy Dress event, a once a year black tie ball. You have your own formal, and whatever sorority formals you get invited to. This year I attended 3 sorority's formals, but many attend more. It may be different in the West Coast, but you described your experience as traditional, and my friend who's a pledge at Sigma Nu at Berkely still has 5 AM PT and late night lineups.

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Hmm, now I know what I was missing by going to university in Canada and not having any frats to try and join: massive weekend binge alcoholism and black tie events.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thursday is (was) binge drinking night in Berkeley.

4. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

Speaking as someone who now attends college in Virginia I wear it around 4-6 times not counting my school's Fancy Dress event, a once a year black tie ball. You have your own formal, and whatever sorority formals you get invited to. This year I attended 3 sorority's formals, but many attend more. It may be different in the West Coast, but you described your experience as traditional, and my friend who's a pledge at Sigma Nu at Berkely still has 5 AM PT and late night lineups.

I also went to school in the south and this is the norm. No idea about west coast though. Surprised to hear of lineups in Berkeley. That sort of stuff is barely hanging on in the south, and Berkeley seems like such an....egalitarian place.

5. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

I also went to school in the south and this is the norm. No idea about west coast though. Surprised to hear of lineups in Berkeley. That sort of stuff is barely hanging on in the south, and Berkeley seems like such an....egalitarian place.

"barely hanging on"

The schools where hazing is fading in the South are the exceptions rather than the rule--more chapters get their charters revoked for it these days but that won't stop us.

6. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

The schools where hazing is fading in the South are the exceptions rather than the rule

This is untrue....if you are currently in college you probably don't have enough years in you to see the generational trends. It will never go away completely, but the amount of kids that are willing to put up with it gets a little bit smaller every year and administrators are much less willing to turn a blind eye these days. Anyways, given your profile name, how much could you know about the south? How long have you lived there...a year?