Formal Black and White - To get a Suit or a Tux?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tordles, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

$1600 for a college party?

I wish I lived in that world.

2. tordles

tordles Member

$1600 for a college party? I wish I lived in that world.
    Also my sister is getting married this summer. Further I would ask you to please keep the discussion on topic. This is a fashion forum, and coming across expensive clothing cant be a completely new phenomenon.

3. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Looked at Bloomingdales online catalog and cant find the RL tuxedos there, I will definitely stop by to see if it is possible to get a rebate. And I definitely agree that the RL tuxedos look really sharp and elegant. Anyone know if it is possible to get some kind of rebate in the RL store in the city?

They don't have RLBL on their site. Only about four of their stores, including SF, carry the line. I saw the tuxes when I was there last month. Definitely go there in person and check them out. RL doesn't discount their tuxes ever to my knowledge, and they don't offer a credit card like Bloomingdale's does. The Z-Zegnas I mentioned may also be worth a look when you're there, as they go for about $900 less and the fit is similar.

Oh, and a side note, RL does this annoying thing by putting pocket flaps on their peak lapel tux (not the shawl), so make sure they're willing to include their removal in the free alterations.

4. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

They don't have RLBL on their site. Only about four of their stores, including SF, carry the line. I saw the tuxes when I was there last month. Definitely go there in person and check them out. RL doesn't discount their tuxes ever to my knowledge, and they don't offer a credit card like Bloomingdale's does. The Z-Zegnas I mentioned may also be worth a look when you're there, as they go for about $900 less and the fit is similar.

Oh, and a side note, RL does this annoying thing by putting pocket flaps on their peak lapel tux (not the shawl), so make sure they're willing to include their removal in the free alterations.

They're jetted on the top right? So, in a pinch I figure you can just tuck em.

5. tordles

tordles Member

TimlessStyle: You are the man! You have been super helpful to me, thank you so much

6. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

They're jetted on the top right? So, in a pinch I figure you can just tuck em.

True. But if you are going to pay (near) MSRP, then that's not a compromise you should have to make; the store should include removing them as part of the price of the tux.

7. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

I wouldn't buy a nice tuxedo if you are in college. Assuming you will be attending more sorority/fraternity formals it likely won't have a long lifespan, plus your body will probably change over the next 5-7 years. When I was a freshman my parents got me a ~$400 tuxedo from like Dillards or Macy's (would prob get it from H&M now) and I wore it probably 30 times before replacing it for a nice one around age 25. I know that's not what you asked, it's just what I recommend. Save the $ for a suit or a couple pairs of nice dress shoes.

8. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

Get a tuxedo. Greek life alone at my school demands it a handful of times a year.

9. tordles

tordles Member

I wouldn't buy a nice tuxedo if you are in college. Assuming you will be attending more sorority/fraternity formals it likely won't have a long lifespan, plus your body will probably change over the next 5-7 years. When I was a freshman my parents got me a ~$400 tuxedo from like Dillards or Macy's (would prob get it from H&M now) and I wore it probably 30 times before replacing it for a nice one around age 25. I know that's not what you asked, it's just what I recommend. Save the $ for a suit or a couple pairs of nice dress shoes.

I mean even if this is true: The cost of getting a tux vs. renting adds up to the same.

If i use the suit say 4 times a year? And the suit lasts me 5-7 years? To me it has done its job.

2000/6= 333$ a year
    333/4= 83.25$ every time i use it.

Yes, i realize this might seem a lot, but a rental does not come cheaper than 100$; especially a rental with the looks of i.e. a custom fitted RL suit?

I do realize this is a matter of preference, but that is my take on it.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I think you are overestimating how often you will need to wear black tie. I grew up in that area, went to the same school (apparently) and even went to that same party (in 1989). I also had occasion to go to the B&W and the CMPC in the city and to Las Madrinas in LA. All told, I never wore black tie more than twice year in California. Now I live in New York, a much more formal place, and I am guaranteed to wear black tie only twice a year. Four happens but not that often.

I got a lot of custom clothes made when I was 22/23 and it served me well but by the time I was 30 I couldn't wear most of it any more. I was still more or less the same weight but body shape just changes.

Anyway, I hate rental clothes and I always like to look good so if can afford it, go for it, but have realistic expectations.

11. tordles

tordles Member

I think you are overestimating how often you will need to wear black tie. I grew up in that area, went to the same school (apparently) and even went to that same party (in 1989). I also had occasion to go to the B&W and the CMPC in the city and to Las Madrinas in LA. All told, I never wore black tie more than twice year in California. Now I live in New York, a much more formal place, and I am guaranteed to wear black tie only twice a year. Four happens but not that often.

I got a lot of custom clothes made when I was 22/23 and it served me well but by the time I was 30 I couldn't wear most of it any more. I was still more or less the same weight but body shape just changes.

Anyway, I hate rental clothes and I always like to look good so if can afford it, go for it, but have realistic expectations.

I live in Norway, I go to school at Berkeley, but I see your point. I was mainly replying to MjPhilips´s comment, and using his example the cost of buying a suit vs. renting would be about the same.

Further I completely agree with you, Manton, that going to a formal event, and feeling good about what you wear is a great feeling. Thank you for your input thou

12. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I don't know your time frame, but Thick as Thieves has a MTM tuxedo, I would contact them and see your options with them. They're also pretty reasonably priced for full canvas construction. Here's a few pics from their lookbook: [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. wmb

wmb Senior member

No notch on a tux.

Someone may come along and tell you how since it was in a 1906 Sears Catalogue a notch DJ is perfectly OK, but in fact it looks cheap compared to peak or shawl and makes you look like you don't know what you are doing.

I have come to prefer shawl over peak, esp with a fold (rather than wing) collar.

I much prefer single or double breasted peak lapel to a shawl. Also prefer the fold over collar to wing collars these days...

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

On the surface, costume is acceptable as long as it is "black and white": Go dressed as a cat in those colours. No one could say that you were in breach of the stipulated dress 'code'.

Had the organiser meant 'black tie' ie evening dress I would have assumed those words would be used.

15. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

I think he has a point. If you have money to burn then spend it and buy whatever you want.
    If you are trying to more economical you could try for something like Z-Zegna which is very nice looking, although construction is meh, and spend the extra money on getting some nice shoes. I just picked up my
    first nice tux, shawl midnight blue tux, at the age of 24. If i had gotten one that fit me at 20 i'd be out
    a really nice tux. I didn't really even get fat or gain much weight, only about 5 pounds of change, but if you put a premium on fit, your body will change after your college years for better or worse....