Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formal attire: between the morning and the evening

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demo5, Sep 12, 2008.

1. demo5

demo5 Senior member

What is the appropriate attire for a formal event after 12 and before 6?

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Formal? Morning dress or maybe a stroller.

- B

3. demo5

demo5 Senior member

I have a wedding which begins at 4. The invitation says black tie, which is what I am wearing, but it got me thinking as to what should be worn before 6. I would have though that a morning coat isn't the appropriate item.

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nope-- there isn't Afternoon Dress. So your choices are morning or evening.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I have a wedding which begins at 4. The invitation says black tie, which is what I am wearing, but it got me thinking as to what should be worn before 6. I would have though that a morning coat isn't the appropriate item.

Except in an ever diminishing range of geography and location, there is almost an exact correspondence in a non-historical discussion of formal and semi-formal wear between being correct and being pedantic.

In the context of a social event where you are asked to dress semi-formally in dinner clothes at 4PM rather than after 6PM, there really is no answer to the question of how one should dress otherwise.

- B

6. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

If it 'begins' at 4pm it will probably finish after 6, so black tie would be fine. Unless you feel important enough to change from morning coat to tuxedo at 6pm sharp...

7. J Simulcik

J Simulcik Senior member

An autogyro en route to the Prussian consulate in
    +1 for dinner jacket if the event crosses into evening.

For an event that only takes place in the afternoon, I would vote stroller and morning trousers.

8. Sander

Sander Senior member

Normally I'm not an uber-traditional guy, but the idea (and look of) dinner jackets in sunlight always strikes me as very odd. I wouldn't do it.

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Strictly speaking, events starting at 4PM call for morning dress. It's fine to wear it into the evening. It's not fine to wear evening clothes at 4PM by those same standards.

On the other hand, no-one at the event is likely to know they are transgressing unless the OP tells them.

10. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Strictly speaking, events starting at 4PM call for morning dress. It's fine to wear it into the evening. It's not fine to wear evening clothes at 4PM by those same standards.

On the other hand, no-one at the event is likely to know they are transgressing unless the OP tells them.

And I would certainly hate being the douchbag wearing a morning suit in a sea of black tie.