• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Accessory Question - Urgent

new obsession

Reaction score
Bought a Tux, shawl collar, thanks for input everyone. Probably would have preferred a peak lapel but it is extremely difficult to find one OTR these days, and didn't have the time for custom. Anyway, here is the question -

I have quick need for accessories. Where in NYC can I get my hands on a reasonably priced silk self-tie bow tie, the collar on the tux is not gros-grain, which I guess makes it either smooth silk or satin, so I would like the tie to match. BB has a $45 model, but I think that is a bit high priced. Anyone know of anything cheaper, but still nice? I would prefer something with a pretty big wing to it (not sure that is the expression, but I like a bow big on the sides, but with a fairly tight knot).

Also looking for a vest. I think I want want it low cut in the front (scooped?), the better to show off my nice studs, but with a full back (or am I way off in my desires?). Anyone know where I can find something nice, but reasonably priced?

Thanks in advance - you people have never let me down before.

(By the way thanks to Carl at Cego for helping me out with a shirt at the last minute. I will post details about it when I have time. Also, any of you who like pink need to check out this new material Carl has in. Striking plaid pink and white, it may be more of a tattersal, but it was eye-catching, couldn't stop looking at it, not sure I could pull it off for work, but for the bodler among us it is a MUST SEE. Not shilling, just like to share when people do right by me.)

coachvu

Reaction score
While not cheaper, Barney's had a few Drake's self-tie formal bowties on clearance for $45 a few weeks ago. They were in a small wooden box in the corner of their formal section. Certainly better than the BB, if you can't find anything else.

alflauren

Reaction score
I'm not in NYC, but needed a tux there once. I think A.T. Harris does both rental and sales, and they did have accessories, vests, etc. so you might try calling them tomorrow.

I'll leave it to the New Yorkers to provide better suggestions, but for the sake of urgency I thought I'd chime in.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Filene's, Daffy's or Loehmann's. My nephew got a decent tie a FB a few years ago for $12.99.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Do you feel a one-sided bow tie is more appropriate?

I don't think I have ever heard of a one-sided bow tie. What is it?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This place rents and sells the sort of vest you describe, although I doubt it is full-backed. The sale price is, IIRC, $45.

Unfortunately, the "modern" style is a much higher-cut vest. I've been looking for the right vest to buy, and I've had a hard time finding a satisfactory one myself. Vintage shops might be your best bet, if you have time to look through them.

I can't comment on Jim's quality, as I haven't used them.

Syms does, I believe, have a few proper bow-ties, but I could be wrong. Nearly everything they carry are clip ons. I was in there recently looking for (non-tux) bowties, and found none. Zero. Zip.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
This place rents and sells the sort of vest you describe, although I doubt it is full-backed. The sale price is, IIRC, $45.
It's definately not full-backed because you didn't click on full back vests
teacha.gif

new obsession

Reaction score
Wife picked me up a $38 silk bow tie at Barney's. Not sure of quality because I have not seen it, but apparently they only carry two different models. Grosgrain or other.

Still looking for a vest though. Have seen some nice quality, but everything has 5 buttons and comes up to mid-chest. Would love to hear about alternatives.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
I don't think I have ever heard of a one-sided bow tie. What is it?
It's a bow tie with a shaped end and a plain end. They're very traditional and difficult to find these days.

DADto9

Reaction score
Take a look at the Carrot & Gibbs site. See what you can find there.
www.greatbows.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads