1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Formal Accessories

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ADR275, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ADR275

ADR275 Member

I am having trouble deciding on the accessories for my wedding at the end of this month.

I am wearing a one button, peak lapel tux. My shirt is pleat front with a turn down collar and a black bow tie. My problem lies in the braces/cummerbund/studs department.

My original thought was to wear braces without a cummerbund (wearing both seems like too much). This configuration would leave 5 buttons exposed above the waistband of my trousers (not counting the collar button behind my bow tie). Most stud sets that I've seen have only four studs, which would leave one standard button exposed.

How have others overcome this problem?

As I see it, my options are as follows:

1) Braces, 4 studs, one exposed button.
    2) Cummerbund, no braces
    3) Braces, buy a second set of studs (not preferred for financial reasons...)

On a related note, is it even appropriate to not wear either a cummerbund or vest?

2. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Congratulations.

I would offer a fourth option: a vest. It should cover the lower button. Moreover, I think that it looks better than a cumberbund with a SB peak-lapel dinner jacket.

While some may disagree, I believe that either a black silk or white pique vest would be well suited (the later following the precedent of the Duke of Windsor).

Not wearing a vest or cumberbund is not really a good option IMHO.

Braces, on the other hand, are always appropriate with a semiformal ensemble.

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

My original thought was to wear braces without a cummerbund (wearing both seems like too much).

Why would that be the case? The purpose of the cummerbund is to cover the area where the trousers meet the shirt, which would also cover the ends of the braces. Of course, you also will have your dinner jacket on and buttoned, which would also hide your braces ends.

Or you could always wear a vest...

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Wearing braces and a cumberbund is standard...

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A well-done formal shirt with a single buttoned jacket should have only two studs exposed.

6. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Wearing a vest is better

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I agree on the vest. This is the one day and event that you can guarantee that all eyes will be on you-and nothing makes a guy feel and look like a million bucks than a three-piece suit or a vested tux. Just be sure you get a nice, elegant black vest that compliments your tux and not one of those confetti-colored jobbers! [​IMG]

8. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Is it really that much of a faux pas to go without either cumberbund or vest?

As a matter of personal preference, it seems to me a cleaner look, but would it be an unthinkable thing??

K

9. TomW

TomW Senior member

Firstly, it's a cummerbund. Secondly, it is indeed a faux pas of major proportion to forgo wearing either a cummbund or vest with a single breasted dinner suit. As to the perception that sans cummerbund is a cleaner look, egads man, the purpose of a cummerbund is to clean up the line between shirt and trousers and disguise any bunching or puckering of your shirt. Additionally, it visually extends the length of you leg and prevents any unsightly flash of white below the button of your jacket.

Wear a cummerbund or vest and be the perfect compliment to your bride to be.