Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Forgive my ignorance, but what are darts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Oct 4, 2004.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I've heard several references to this tailoring technique on styleforum, but I'm not entirely sure what they are and/or what they do. I would appreciate anyone's guidance on the matter. Thanks.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Darts are a curved stitch sewn into the back of a shirt; one on each side. They pretty much taper the sides in a bit and give a more trim fit.

Sorry, I could not think of clearer terms to explain it. Perhaps someone else can help.

Dictionary.com definition:

"A tapered tuck sewn to adjust the fit of a garment."

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

They're not just on shirts. Look at the seams perpendicular to the back pockets on your trousers or perpendicular to the pockets on your jacket front. Those are darts.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

(VersaceMan @ 03 Oct. 2004, 10:27) Darts are a curved stitch sewn into the back of a shirt; one on each side. Â They pretty much taper the sides in a bit and give a more trim fit.
    They're not just on shirts. Look at the seams perpendicular to the back pockets on your trousers or perpendicular to the pockets on your jacket front. Those are darts.
    Oops, forgot to add jackets. My favorite jacket gained it's place as my favorite because of the beautiful darting on the front that gives it such a nice slim fit, and gorgeous lines. I was unaware that trousers had darts though. I'm going to take a peek in my closet and check that out.