• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foreign Films for the Beginner.

Ajaxv2

Reaction score
I just finished Der Baader-Meinhoff Complex and was enthralled by Moritz Bleibtreu's acting. I remember him from Run Lola Run, and loved his work there as well. In fact, I loved the movie in general, and to think it was by chance that I had even heard of it!

I heard a quick review of it on E! when I was channel-surfing, and I ignored it. Then, I was watching an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent (S8E16: Revolution) and the protagonist on the show was a former Baader-Meinhoff member. Although I speak only the most basic German, I slogged through sites on the RAF and B-M story, and overnight became fascinated with the whole West German counter-culture in the 60s and 70s.

Back when I was a professional gamer (back in high school, I didn't have to sing for my supper or anything), I played a little Counter-Strike, and that's where I first encountered GSG-9, the German Counter-Terrorist group that was formed in 'response' to the hijacking of the Lufthansa jetliner in the mid 70s. It feels like, in a way, I've come full circle, from the reaction of the government to inquiring about the origins of the group that started it all. This is where you good folks come in.

My question is this: what other foreign films have you seen/heard of and would recommend? I'm not looking exclusively for movies based on political events, but I'd like to branch out from titles like "The Usual Suspects" and "Memento." I'm a fan of noir-ish films, but any old NON-ACTION foreign flick will do. Thanks!

Le Samourai

Reaction score
You'll love J.P.Melville films then. Try 'Le Samourai' and 'Le Cercle Rouge' to start with then you'll be hooked. Also if you liked Baader have a look at 'Downfall' which is a masterpiece. Enjoy.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Bleibtreu, you need to watch Das Experiment.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple Noon (French: Plein Soleil, aka Full Sun or Blazing Sun) A 1960 film directed by RenÃ
00a9.png
ClÃ
00a9.png
ment, based on "The Talented Mr. Ripley" by Patricia Highsmith. Starring Alain Delon

Besides the great plot and superb acting, the casual wardrobe is outstanding.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In theatres now is the Japanese movie "Departures," (Okuribito/おくりびと) which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Picture. I saw it last week and really enjoyed it. Though, I must admit I'm a sucker for those kinda sappy, sweet, life affirming Japanese movies.

The earlier mention of 8 1/2 was a good one; it's a very odd movie, but a lot of fun and quite beautiful. You might also give Bergman's "Wild Strawberries" a watch.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd echo Le Samourai's suggestion of Melville who is plenty accessible, and add his Bob le flambeur and what I think is his masterpiece in Army of Shadows. Um, a bit of repetition, but a great crash course on foreign film would look something like: 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, Battleship Potemkin, The Seventh Seal, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Breathless, The Rules of the Game, Tokyo Story, L'avventura, Ugetsu and on and on. The great thing about studying film is that the 'canon' is very much set in stone and it's not too hard to find a decent list, though certainly not everything will be to your taste. Another good way to go about it is to stick to 'auteurs' like Bergman, Felini, Godard, Kurosawa, Truffaut, etc.

Note that pretty much everyone but a couple folks are recommending you older films whereas you've started with something new(ish). Hunger is my favourite 'foreign' film of the last few years if not necessarily foreign language.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Sweden I like Tillsammans (Together) and from the same director ******* Ã…mÃ¥l (******* Ã…mÃ¥l). The Netherlands Jezus is een Palestijn (Jesus is a Palestinian) en Zusje (Little sister) are rather intriguing Dutch movies from the nineties. More recent Dutch effort worth watching is Simon (Simon). Regarding the subject of the WWII in the Netherlands, there is Soldaat van Oranje (Soldier of Orange) which gives besides the subject of war a pretty nice view of the then student population. Think White tie etc. More recent movie, simular subject is Zwartboek (Black Book).* Van god los (Godforsaken) is a decent urban crime scene in the Netherlands effort. Cloaca a well acted character driven movie. Denmark Festen (The Celebration) and Idioterne (The Idiots) are both excellent Dogma 95 movies with al that implies. Belgium/Flanders Excellent movie by Thom Barman is Anyway the wind blows. Actually I can't rightly recall at the moment what the subject of this movie is and I won't find out for the purpose of reviewing (watching). Just the style and feel of the movie is something I enjoyed immensely. German Lola Rennt (Run Lola run or Lola Runs) and Der Krieger und die Keiserin (The Princess and the Warrior) are both pretty nice films with, say, the GF of 'Bourne'. I'm getting wearry of this so only two more movies: French/American Killing Zoe & Leon. It comes to me these are not really Foreign movies, but especially the first one rules in its genre (Violent action flick). I can make no promisses regarding availability... Ok some more. Look them up on IMDB yourself: French Irreversible Être et avoir (This one and the next: Bonus points if you or your so is a teacher) Entre les murs Le fabuleux destin d'AmÃ
00a9.png
lie Poulain *In one word: Carice van Houtens ****, I wanted to say, but that's rather crass and you probably get the censored version, anyway. Also there is more to the movie.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked Breathless as one of my first French films. Also, while these are not political, nor some sort of noir-ish crime film, I really enjoyed Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. Both were Japanese films that were later adopted into famous Westerns, The Magnificent Seven and Fistful of Dollars. Classic must-see movies.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Does anybody not like Cinema Paradiso? That seems like a logical place to start, as does Le Samourai.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old film: Alain Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad

New film: You, the Living (Swedish title: Du levande)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Classe tous risques
Die welle
Get carter
The one armed swordsman
Man with a movie camera
Happy together
Stalker
Police python 357
Matador
Milano calibro 9

I have no idea why I suggested these movies but asking about "foreign films" is even more of a generic question than saying "I wanna get into American movies, please suggest some titles."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads