1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Forced to go MTM in NYC?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by killacam, Mar 15, 2013.

1. jprenterprises

jprenterprises New Member

GBR - Why in the world would you reply like that to a new forum member? Yes, I recently joined the forum to purchase some Allen Edmonds from another forum member. Browsing around, I happened upon this post and provided an honest suggestion in response to the OP's question. My suggestion is 1. In his price range, 2. MTM and 3. Better than what he has now. I haven't read the post you referenced on Indochino, but I do own two of their suits and although they are not my nicest by far they actually fit me better out of the box than most things I can find OTR. I though that my suggestion was very much in the spirit of what this forum is about but I guess I'm off base. Very discouraging...

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

ordering a self measured mtm suit with his very wide shoulders will be a disaster.
    i would assume he has sloping shoulders. this will not be taken care of with out a knowledgeable fitter.

i would normally not recommend them, but try Mysuit
    why? they are brick and mortar. and will stand behind their product.
    it is not as well made as Greenfield. but it will be 1/3 the price. not sure where windsor will make the suit.

do not buy some fake high count suit from some indian tailor, sending measurements to a factory in china

does J. banks sell separates? or even men's warehouse.
    this means you can buy a 44 jacket and 36 trouser. cut from the same color matched fabric.

1 person likes this.
  3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Suit separates - good idea, as suit pants might require a recut (expensive and sometimes risky). Men's Wearhouse, meh. Jos. A. Bank sells suit separates, but apparently he might not be open to an old-fashioned cut like that. Brooks Brothers has more modern-looking separates, which coincidentally are on sale now.

Another option is a traveling tailor, who takes measurements instead of relying on the customer's skill at doing that (which is one reason online MTM can go so badly). Still, any tailor who wouldn't charge much for a suit likely isn't very good and might have trouble making a modern-looking suit that flatters a muscular man.