• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbes Tie Rankings

Material Boy

Reaction score
This Forbes tie ranking is a big joke.

Stefano Ricci makes some of the most beautiful ties in the world. period. I don't see his name anywhere on this list.

What about Anna Matuozzo, Attolini, and Barba?

MB

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ranking ties? Just like Forbes. Disappointing, but not unexpected. It is "reports" like this that reminds us all that people who make bundles of money and those who report their comings and going are not necessarily particularly intelligent.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discrepancy abounds...
Included Paul Smith, but no Richard James or even Duchamp for that matter...

The lack of RLPL has already been pointed out.

What about Dunhill? Their four-folds are among my favorites.

Forbes included J.Press, but no Brooks Brothers? Oxxford even offers a few nice wovens.

Jay Kos was mentioned... Davide Cenci was not.

I wonder how many advertising dollars were spent for inclusion, and more importantly, how many advertising dollars were NOT spent for exclusion.

lisapop

Reaction score
Jay Kos was mentioned... Davide Cenci was not.

The author probably shops at, or knows someone who shops at, Kos. Or, maybe he heard Puff Daddy used to have his suits made there. Or, maybe the author attended dental school with Jay. In any case, Davide Cenci is a more esoteric store that appeals to a more sophisticated clientele.
Grayson

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb list.... I don't really know how one could "rank" ties. The "cache" factor made me laugh. Ties, unlike suits are more about design than construction or anything else. Personally, I think of ties as disposable; how often can you really wear a tie without getting sick of it.

I'm surprised Gucci wasn't on that list; they make a great tie. Also, the inclusion of Garrick Anderson was a surprise; they make great, thick ties as well with superb, colorful styling.

And Charvet at the top...please. A little to staid for my tastes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for what I don't own, but I would rate my Brioni ties over the one Kiton I have. I think well of Massimo Bizzochi and Battistoni, although no one in this thread has mentioned them. Agree that Talbott was conspicuous by his absence. Based on the couple of Charvet ties I have owned, however, I couldn't argue against their placing them at the top.

lisapop

Reaction score
And Charvet at the top...please. A little to staid for my tastes

Often staid (sometimes mischievous, even outlandish), but always the paragon of elegance.
Grayson

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Mar. 28 2005,13:12)
Originally Posted by AlanC,Mar. 28 2005,15:31
Yes, if you're going to list RL ties you'd think Purple Label would make it over Polo.
Speaking of which, which company now manufactures makes the Italian-made RLPL ties? Back in the old days T&A made both the RLPL shirts and ties. Jon.
Lorenzini? koji
Seems obvious, no? But does Lorenzini make their ties in-house? Jon.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Voice of dissent:

I don't find the list that far out of line. Remember these are business people, not fashion mavens like us. Seems to me those near the top of the list spend a lot of $ on marketing...

'Nuff said?

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Btw, Andrew's Ties are great for the price.. Check out their store on Madison Ave. anytime you find yourself in NYC.

Panzer

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Polo used to make their ties on 28th Street in NYC.
Guess where they are being made now?

China of course.

Their margins are amazing.
Silks still come from England and Italy.

mxb95

Reaction score
Often staid (sometimes mischievous, even outlandish), but always the paragon of elegance.

I couldn't agree more.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You could make a weak argument that Drake's and Charles Hill are incorporated in the Turnbull & Asser rating
Except that both Drake and CH make different ties, in different styles, for their own labels. I prefer their own designs.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Manton, I've been wondering what ties hang in your closet. Obviously Marinella, Drake's and Charles Hill. What are the Manton Tie Rankings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads