• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbes does Jermyn Street

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting article on Forbes Online today about Jermyn Street and the different men's bespoke shirtmakers located there. Forbes Article Nice slideshow of the different makers as well. Bradford

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
The author twice (Pink, T&A) described cuts as "generous." And meant it as a compliment. This is not to mock his ignorance, but to rue the fact that people in authoritative positions (ie, writers for highly influential magazines) spread the appreciation for tent-like clothing. I can't imagine that the very large cuts commonly found in America would be flattering on even rather large men. Doesn't at least a little bit of a fitted shirt look better on everyone?

Tom

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The author twice (Pink, T&A) described cuts as "generous." And meant it as a compliment. This is not to mock his ignorance, but to rue the fact that people in authoritative positions (ie, writers for highly influential magazines) spread the appreciation for tent-like clothing. I can't imagine that the very large cuts commonly found in America would be flattering on even rather large men. Doesn't at least a little bit of a fitted shirt look better on everyone?

Tom
The T & A's I have purchased at NM either RTW or MTM are usually cut quite fitted to the body, as far as shirts in America go. Pink shirts however are indeed cut like tents.

Jon.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
He also gives Pink a pass by saying their shirts are made in Ireland, which no longer (apparently) is the case. It's also amusing how he acts as though Pink was a well kept secret that was discovered and forced by popular demand to open new stores, etc. Has any Jermyn Street maker (I use that accomodatively with Pink) marketed itself more shrewdly?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He also gives Pink a pass by saying their shirts are made in Ireland, which no longer (apparently) is the case. It's also amusing how he acts as though Pink was a well kept secret that was discovered and forced by popular demand to open new stores, etc. Has any Jermyn Street maker (I use that accomodatively with Pink) marketed itself more shrewdly?
Charles Tyrwhitt.

Jon.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
That's an interesting question. Tyrwhitt doesn't seem as pretentious as Pink does, more of your down-home Jermyn street maker (my impression). Perhaps that is shrewder, just not as annoying.
biggrin.gif

fopkid

Reaction score
Tyrwhitt's founders are former Bain consultants, so their shrewd business practices are no surprise.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
After a quick stint of production in Morocco, I believe Thomas Pink shirts are again being made in Ireland. During the spring season, I noticed most of the tags sadly proclaimed "Made in Morocco" even though they raised the price by 5 dollars. However, over the summer and autumn, I noticed I couldn't find any Moroccan shirts in the store anymore and all had reverted back to the "Made in Ireland" tags. This still seems to be the case. Can anyone verify this?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note: I agree; my T&A shirts are the slimmest fitting RTW shirts I own.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
The sole T&A shirt I own is also my slimmest, even more so than my only Hilditch. All my Pink's had fit horribly and have required slimming to be done by the tailor, but now fit pretty well.

I know there's a lot of Pink bashing on this board (and rightly so) but their stores here are one of the few places we American's have physical access to Jermyn St. shirts. Sadly, you'd be hard pressed to find a similar pattern (which can be quite interesting and distinct) or similar cutaway collar in any other American store and I think that's the allure to the Pink brand here. So I guess the moral of the story is: export more British shirts to America.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the Thomas Pink Factory outlet in Ashford, Kent? Apparently it's the same shirts but permanently half off, with winter sales that drive the prices down even lower, thus making the shirts quite reasonable.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A T&A is not $250.

I paid mine around £45 on sales at Harrods.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budd is not hand sewn.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A T&A is not $250.

I paid mine around £45 on sales at Harrods.
How does what you paid in a sale affect what the retail price is?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 2 very simple ways =

1) A white shirt from one of the best shirtmaker can not be at 65% off

2) If a brand sells at 65% off twice a year, who will buy at full price particulary when the price is $250 ?
A brand which sells at 65% would devalue itself.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, your premise is not true in the United States. The shirts are indeed around $250, and many are closer to $295.
In addition, every year in New York they have a sale where shirts are $100, towards the end of the summer. This is also around 65% off. And the brand has not devalued itself yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads