• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For you Chicago Members....Bigsby & Kruthers

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
From the Tribune.

Bigsby & Kruthers plans comeback at Block 37

The original founder of Bigsby & Kruthers, the men's clothing store that went bankrupt almost a decade ago, plans to try again and has signed a lease to open at Block 37 in the Loop.

Jospeh Silverberg, who founded Bigsby & Kruthers with his brother Gene Silverberg in 1970 in Chicago, has partnered with Jack Shniderman, owner of Robert Vance to relaunch the Bigsby & Kruthers brand, according to an announcement from Joseph Freed & Associates, LLC, the developer of the retail complex at 108 N. State St., known as Block 37.

The store will be located on the second floor of the 278,000-square foot shopping center. Swarovski, Starfruit, Tahini and Sunglass Hut also have recently signed leases, Freed said. The retail center is slated to open this fall.

I am a transplated New Yorker, but I remember visiting Bigsby & Kruthers with my Dad many, many years ago. I have a vague recollection of a high-end place. Not sure, though as I was probably more interested in anything other than clothes at the time.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a high-end place... although my knowledge of high-end was limited when it was around, so I'm not sure exactly how high. I hope they take back the wall off of 90/94 that they used to paint. It is now owned by LaSalle Bank, but their murals are much less imaginative. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...BurplQfVtqHBAw

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not very high-end as I recall.
Contemporary, not classical style.
At the time I lived in Chicago, in the 70s and 80s, high-end
was Ultimo, Saks, Bonwit Teller, Neimans (80s), Brittany
for traditional, i.e. Norman Hilton. I am sure I omitted some
stores around Oak St.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just heard Mark Shale may be closing.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, Chapter 11. Closing most of their stores and trying to find a buyer for the rest. Was in the papers yesterday.

I grew up in Chicago and B&K definitely strikes some chord of memory, though I can't recall why. It might be the billboards. Was theirs the famous Rodman one?

david809

Reaction score
I agree with comrade, not very high end. Hugo Boss / Armani Collezioni level.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I just heard Mark Shale may be closing.

Mark Shale is closing down? Thats horrible- they are the best store at Oakbrook and their closing will leave little in the suburbs.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I am always happy with the service and prices at Mark Shale. Also like to support private enterprises.
frown.gif

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Mark Shale is closing down? Thats horrible- they are the best store at Oakbrook and their closing will leave little in the suburbs.
+1

I grew up near Oakbrook and remember Mark Shale well. For that mtter, I remember B&K there as well near Saks. Tough times are taking a toll...

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Trib story says three Mark Shale Chicago area stores will remain open while Baskin searches for a buyer.

That probably means downtown, Northbrook, and OakBrook will stay open. I hope part of their operation survives.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy

They are not the MS of years ago, I remember when I was in high school they carried Oxxford for a few seasons and the really , really nicely made Polo stuff from the USA. Those MS-Polo-USA items were incredibly nice and almost always used English material in traditional custs. IAMGood had a good write up.

deepitm

Reaction score
Any update on Bigsby & Kruthers? I remember reading this story about two years ago but I've heard nothing since.

This is from their Facebook page:

"Obviously Block 37 and its developers has had some setbacks, but we are still actively looking at several Chicagoland locations and will keep you posted as soon as we have some good news on the new Bigsby and Kruthers!
March 16 at 4:26pm"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads