• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For whom do we dress?

Grrtt780

Reaction score
I asked myself this question the other day. I have heard a lot of people here say "I dress for myself" but I don't know if I buy it. Personally I came to this forum to learn how to buy/wear suits for work (24 yrs old, just out of college, wearing suits to work every day) never planning to get into this kinda stuff. Now I wear suits everyday for a very conservative company but I am a salesman and I sell to car dealers so most environments I go into are not at all conservative. Lots of loafers and huge watches, etc. this allows me to get away with a lot but it also means that if I follow sartorial "rules" I stick out, in a bad way. So if I am at the corporate office it's cap toes, white shirts, etc but if I am in the field selling its big watches, maybe loafers (with a suit), etc. but this isn't just for business (though that is a big part of it). I want to look good and I want to look good to those who see me, not just myself. So sure I dress for myself but it is to get a positive reaction from those who see me as much as it is to get a positive reaction from myself. What do you guys think? Certainly I am not the only one who thinks that the reactions and views of others is almost as important if not more so that your own opinions. And does that not beg the question of whether deliberately making some poor choices is actually the way to go?

Calder

Reaction score
Sometimes I dress for the Ladies. Sometimes for the clients. Sometimes for the bosses.

But always for myself as well.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a creative. I work with graphic designers, art directors, copywriters, etc. Up to fairly recently, nobody ever wore a SC and tie, never mind a suit. (There are a few fashionable ladies in Public Relations and Sales.) Lots of creative dress and casual wear. I used to be the same.

I wear my own take on classic clothing that probably walks the line of good taste according to the "rules," but is miles more conservative and "dressed up" than most of the people I encounter on a daily basis. I'm constantly reminded of the fact that I'm better kitted out than my colleagues.

I have been a catalyst for change, though. Lately, some of the guys have been spotted in SCs, good trousers and decent shoes and are now asking me for advice on tailors, shoe care, etc... I think it just took one person bucking the trend to make it feel safe for the other guys who like to dress.

I feel that I definitely dress for myself.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress for myself and working at a place where most men wear suits or sport coats (even though I'm not required to do so) is a blessing; I don't feel out of place.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless we're narcissistic to the point of near-psychosis (ie. to the point of being genuinely sick; not just using narcissistic in the colloquial sense), we all dress for others as well for ourselves.

Now, the form/nature/impact of how it affects your dress depends on the culture you're embedded in.

And the balance/degree of the impact depends on the relative status of you vs that culture (and if it's a subculture, the status of the subculture vs the wider culture). And, perhaps even more importantly, your intent regarding that interaction.

So even when you dress for others, it's actually because of you, because you want to create a certain effect.

(being explicitly aware of how all these factors are interacting for you personally, is, I would suggest, a very important part of developing a style.)

Last edited:

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless we're narcissistic to the point of near-psychosis (ie. to the point of being genuinely sick; not just using narcissistic in the colloquial sense), we all dress for others as well for ourselves.

Now, the form/nature/impact of how it affects your dress depends on the culture you're embedded in.

And the balance/degree of the impact depends on the relative status of you vs that culture (and if it's a subculture, the status of the subculture vs the wider culture). And, perhaps even more importantly, your intent regarding that interaction.

So even when you dress for others, it's actually because of you, because you want to create a certain effect.

(being explicitly aware of how all these factors are interacting for you personally, is, I would suggest, a very important part of developing a style.)

It's a pleasure to have your insight in to these matters, HF.

I understand this to mean that though I am always dressing for others in the practical sense, what effect my choices have on those whom I interact with is a result of my deliberate choices, made according to how I want those others to perceive me. Which makes perfect sense.

I always say that even the people who appear slovenly and ill-dressed and possess an "I don't give a crap" attitude are also making deliberate choices based on how they wish to be perceived.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes I dress for the Ladies. Sometimes for the clients. Sometimes for the bosses.

But always for myself as well.

Somewhere between dressing for women and being comfortable. I want to be noticed in a good way. Watches are for me though, but it's always nice when someone notices my watch.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure about this. For example as I've said I'm not forced to wear suits or sport coat and tie to work, but I do because I like clothes as a hobby, as an art one would say, not because I want to look fine for me or for others. In fact I think (and people tells me) I look "better", or at least younger and thinner, wearing jeans and a T-shirt. If I wanted to dress for them I would do that, but instead, I choose to wear what I like.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this. For example as I've said I'm not forced to wear suits or sport coat and tie to work, but I do because I like clothes as a hobby, as an art one would say, not because I want to look fine for me or for others. In fact I think (and people tells me) I look "better", or at least younger and thinner, wearing jeans and a T-shirt. If I wanted to dress for them I would do that, but instead, I choose to wear what I like.
I wear jeans and t-shirt to work in cause the place I work at is cold and if I did try to wear nice clothes to work they'd probably get torn or dirty everyday. I'm not trying to impress andybody during work hours.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
But you're taking their opinions into account when processing your choices, and then making an choice to disregard elements of those opinions (and therefore accepting any consequences of stepping way from the herd).

I suppose I was being over-shrinky with my statement, but what I meant, is nobody doesn't think about other people unless there's something seriously wrong with their worldview, even if it's just to decide with not listen to them. So you're not really dressing just for yourself, in a precise (and admittedly pedantic) way.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Surprised "I dress for StyleForum" hasn't come up yet...

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you're taking their opinions into account when processing your choices, and then making an choice to disregard elements of those opinions (and therefore accepting any consequences of stepping way from the herd).

I suppose I was being over-shrinky with my statement, but what I meant, is nobody doesn't think about other people unless there's something seriously wrong with their worldview, even if it's just to decide with not listen to them. So you're not really dressing just for yourself, in a precise (and admittedly pedantic) way.

But if we're disregarding other people's thoughts and reactions when making our choices, even if we think of them, aren't we basically just doing things for ourselves?

BoldCloset

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How people dress is also a way of expressing ourselves, just like dancing or painting. Others may look at us differently when we dress differently, but ultimately what matters is how we feel about ourselves in these clothes.

FillW

Reaction score
There is one guy who works in another part of our workplace who seems to overdress (wears suit and tie) but he really seems to look out of place around here. Most dress very casually here for the reasons I mentioned.

I may ask him why he dresses the way he does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads