• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For valmont

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Valmont,

I second that opinion on the Giorgio store (for those wondering it's not an armani boutique). They're totally clueless and their selection is pretty bad. It's like an expensive thrift store.

I've been to most good stores in Montreal (I think). Holt Renfrew has decent stock but the staff are typical of most upscale department stores. They're not complete idiots but I wouldn't want to build a wardrobe on their advice. Oh and the suits and more casual stuff are separated by a floor and women's cosmetics, I didn't even see the suits the first few times I went in there. They do have gucci though, it's where I got my loafers (on the main floor, not down in the brown's part with the other shoes). Harry Rosen is better for most needs though. I only go to Holt's to checkout end of season sales and checkout the gucci shoes, burberry and prada stuff.

There's two stores on Peel right near Harry Rosen. L'Uomo Montreal is right across the street (inconspicuous entrance). That's the store where I really didn't like the salesman. They have some really nice stuff though and you won't find it anywhere else in Montreal so you'll have to look anyway.

Just a bit farther up (towards maisonneuve) there's another store called L'Uomo right on the corner of Peel across from Escada that's undergoing renovations at the moment (I think they're enlarging the space). The salesman I dealt with there was a no nonsense type but he definitely has good taste. They do press a bit more than HR but in general I liked the guy (it's the only place in montreal for gucci suits i believe).

For shoes I think browns' on ste. catherine st. has the best selection for most needs although I'm still looking for a store that has an extensive selection of ferragamo and prada shoes.

As for upscale clubs or bars I'm at a loss and haven't found any although I've never really looked since even if I did find one my friends aren't really the type to go there =/ As you'll find in the summer, the most "happening" street is crescent st. It's all pubs though. Part of the problem is the company I keep but I suppose that can't be helped at my age... It's not surprising that I'm the only kid I know that likes suits and dressing well all the time. If you ever find a really nice place be sure to post it.

Valmont

Reaction score
Gq Geek,

Thanks for your suggestions, it appears as if we both frequent the same places for our shopping needs. I totally agree with you, the people at Holts are not really of much use. I was in there yesterday actually, in the mens dept downstairs, and had an annoying guy trying to tell me "what's in" this season. Most of them are dressed in sloppy suits and then try to give customers fashion pointers, so if you want to have a good laugh go down to Holts and let one the idiots there pick out an outfit for you.

For buying jeans I have found Venus(2nd floor of les cours) to be somewhat useful as well as the diesel section in simons. Do you happen to know of any other good places to get jeans?? As for the nightlife I agree Crescent is cool, I find St .Laurent to be too french and somewhat trashy. I haven't found a classy club yet but I'll be sure to let you know if I ever come across anything.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry I really can't help you too much there since I don't even own jeans anymore. I think it's cause at my old school I saw way too many people wearing jeans all the time and made a decision to stop wearing them... I do really like energie jeans (i think they're the ones i saw in GQ recently) so if you come across any in your search be sure to let me know
smile.gif

Valmont

Reaction score
Its funny you should mention those jeans I think I saw the brand in a store called Style Exchange (I think thats the right name had never bothered to go in there before) in the far end of les cours. Not the exchange next to suteki, that store is just plain old useless actually most of the stores in les cours are useless with Harrys and DKNY being notable exceptions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads