• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For USA bespoke shoe wearers, have you ever used HSA/FSA funds to buy bespoke shoes?

Have you used HSA/FSA funds to buy bespoke shoes for yourself?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean trying to pay for a pair of JLP or other high end bespoke shoe with FSA/HSA funds? Besides this being highly dubious from an ethical standpoint, I believe you will need a letter of medical necessity describing why those specific shoes are necessary for your foot condition. A letter stating that you have flat feet won’t cut it.

arctansusan

Reaction score
Yes, I'm thinking of buying high end shoes with FSA/HSA funds, even with an order for a production of a handmade last.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be difficult to justify bespoke shoes as a medical expense. It's definitely unethical. But, I have no idea how well the IRS audits expenses so I can't speak to the likelihood of you getting caught.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is not so much the IRS but rather your FSA/HSA administrator -- they will absolutely need a letter of medical necessity (so you will need to find a similarly unethical physician or podiatrist to write one for you) and I think they will look quite closely at such an expense before approving it.

kmcmichael

Reaction score
I doubt it. About 25 years ago I had plantar fasciitis I had some inserts made and some custom work boots. It was about 800$. I paid for the whole thing. Diabetes may be different.
I now have some other foot problems. The doctor offered surgery, which I am terrified of. I have to tape toes together due to metatarsal bone problems. When wearing shoes I have to do it on both feet. I now buy overly large shoes that are pretty clunky. If I thought I could get assistance in the price of some fitted shoes, I would do it. I doubt the shoes would;d look very stylish.
Not to sound like a whiner because I am in great health. Other than that.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After that try pushing for vicuna suits due to sensitive skin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics