1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

For USA bespoke shoe wearers, have you ever used HSA/FSA funds to buy bespoke shoes?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by arctansusan, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM.

Have you used HSA/FSA funds to buy bespoke shoes for yourself?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. arctansusan

arctansusan Member

Articles like https://flowfeet.com/blog/16_hsa-reimbursment-diabetic-shoes-inserts.html gives me the impression that I can reimburse myself after I place an order for bespoke shoes. Have you ever used HSA/FSA funds to buy bespoke shoes if you are in USA and have a foot problem that is verifiable by a podiatrist? I think bespoke shoes are the best shoes for those with flat feet.

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

Do you mean trying to pay for a pair of JLP or other high end bespoke shoe with FSA/HSA funds? Besides this being highly dubious from an ethical standpoint, I believe you will need a letter of medical necessity describing why those specific shoes are necessary for your foot condition. A letter stating that you have flat feet won’t cut it.

3. arctansusan

arctansusan Member

Yes, I'm thinking of buying high end shoes with FSA/HSA funds, even with an order for a production of a handmade last.

4. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

It would be difficult to justify bespoke shoes as a medical expense. It's definitely unethical. But, I have no idea how well the IRS audits expenses so I can't speak to the likelihood of you getting caught.

5. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

The issue is not so much the IRS but rather your FSA/HSA administrator -- they will absolutely need a letter of medical necessity (so you will need to find a similarly unethical physician or podiatrist to write one for you) and I think they will look quite closely at such an expense before approving it.