• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who went through/are in college: Any advice?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I've heard most of the generic stuff. You know, "Bring flip flops for the showers, leave your door open when you're in your dorm, don't start playing World of Warcraft, keep a solid schedule, study" etc.

For any of you guys that have gone to college, here's some advice my friend gave me in an e-mail, I'm looking for tips along these lines:

hey man what's goin on. would be glad to help. make sure of these things. hope it helps:

-don't be "that guy". the one who leaves every hot girl in school the same cheesy messages on facebook, the one who goes to one frat party and won't stop talking about how drunk he was, and the one who buys those lame t-shirts with the one-liners on them and thinks they're hilarious.

-don't have more than an hour for lunch. it's too long.

-don't leave more than an hour between classes. you'll want to skip badly.

-don't start skipping. it's a downward spiral.

-don't bother with the fashionista **** during regular days the week. haha, joking. but seriously, don't bother putting on your best during the week. i came down to final exams in jeans and a bathrobe--no one cares and they won't care that you're wearing your armor jeans or jogging pants haha.

-leave your dorm room open. i know it's cliche, but just do it.

-go to the gym and eat good or you will ******* get fat.

have a good one, hope to see you around.

Some of that's pretty generic, but I thought some were pretty insightful. Any advice you guys can give? It was funny about the fashionista thing, but I'm curious if I should even bother with anything besides my raw denim and some t-shirt during the week...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
that one girl of your dreams you see in one of your classes...

dont let the opportunity to go talk to her slip by.

you will regret it forever. at least if you try , and get rejected, you know the outcome and just move on.

+1. Learn to make as many mistakes as you possibly can. You'll be glad afterwards that you had four years to do all the stupid **** you've been dreaming about. Don't shy away from those experiences. Work hard, play harder.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't start skipping classes for no reason. It's really easy to do, when people are asking you to go smoke pot and play frisbee or play beer pong on the front porch. I probably attended only half of my lectures. I could have had a higher GPA, but I did okay and I am successful now, so YMMV. Some people get into a lot of trouble when they start skipping, though - I know a few people that ended up dropping out as a result.

Don't get into the mindset that you'll be working in the field that you are studying for the rest of your life.

Don't be afraid to switch majors, or put your current studies on hold and try something else. Even if its your senior year.

You're going to miss college (not necessarily classes) after you graduate. I finished school a year ago, and still live near campus and hang out with friends who are in school, but miss being a student at times.

ns_guy

Reaction score
It probably depends on the campus environment, but a lot of people (girls mostly) wear pajamas to morning classes, so don't sweat the fasion. Try and make as many friends as possible, the best thing about university is the friends you make and the people you meet - that's the only thing you'll miss when you leave. Don't skip classes (tempting since nobody will really care), and try and get stuff done as soon as you get assigned it - means you'll have the weekends free to party and not worry about schoolwork (or it's the difference between going for a drink with your pals midweek versus writing 4 essays that are due the next day). University goes by in a flash, so make the most you can out of it, you'll miss it when you leave so get as many good memories as you can. And also, some people don't do well academically when they reach university - don't feel bad or think you're stupid, you were after all smart enough to get that acceptance letter. If you struggle, find others to help you out (teachers, tutors, etc.) or form study groups (if a study group works well you'll only have to spend about half the time studying; as well when you teach others concepts you reinforce your own learning).

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
You're going to miss college (not necessarily classes) after you graduate. I finished school a year ago, and still live near campus and hang out with friends who are in school, but miss being a student at times.

Heard this while I was in college and didn't believe it until I started living it.

I might add that if you're financially/emotionally/intellectually/etc. able to, don't be afraid to take a semester off or study abroad. Studying abroad can be having some serious fun while earning credits for it. The only caveat is that make sure you have every intention to come back and aren't leaving to "think things out," otherwise you probably won't want to come back.

Because of an error/false information from one of my advisers, I moved out of my housing a semester early and ended up not graduating with the rest of my friends/roommates. Best thing I could have done. Ever. It forced me to find a non-campus job (actually two) that paid me substantially more, had a far more flexible schedule that allowed me to create my own hours, and I was ultimately much better and happier at doing. I was also able to take time to travel around the US for fun and for post-grad and even went over to Europe for a few months.

But possibly the best outcome was that I had to return to school during the fall semester to meet all kinds of new people who liked to party, to find a place of my own, and see a season's worth of ass-kicking Trojan football.

This is all experience that becomes hard to come by once your four (or more) years are up.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't 'waste' an elective because it's easy or convenient.
Do go out of your comfort zone with classes and explore. If I did that earlier I'd be on the PhD track in the Philosophy department today.
Don't pick classes by schedule if you possibly can.
Do pick classes based on passion.
Do visit Profs before registration and chat if you are unsure.
Do, do, do, keep ultra-good track on your scope and sequence. Do not merely trust your advisor. Check it and check it again.
Do consider the possiblity of Grad work, and if so, plan ahead, including taking grad classes early for credit and to get in with the right people.
Don't be a dick with the Profs. Honest respect goes far with undergrad Profs.
Do study in groups.
Do be yourself and let the crowd do what it wants.
Do talk to 'the girl' when you see her. Life's f'ing short.
Do remember to eat well and take care of yourself.

More will come to me,
Huntsman

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
**** anything that smiles at you.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
that one girl of your dreams you see in one of your classes...

dont let the opportunity to go talk to her slip by.

you will regret it forever. at least if you try , and get rejected, you know the outcome and just move on.

+1.

I let it slip by and regret it to some extent.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I first went to college 15 years out of high school at age 34 with a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to study. Also, getting into an Ivy League school at that age was an opportunity I wasn't going to waste. For whatever my advice is worth to a younger person fresh out of high school, here it is.

- Get your work done first, have fun later. That way, there will be plenty of time for fun. If you have fun first, there won't be enough time for work.

- Get assignments in on time unless there's a death in the family. (Yes, that's the only time I had to arrange a make-up.)

- The ONLY excuse for skipping a class is because a rare opportunity for sex with a really hot girl just happens to conflict. If this happens more than once a semester, you obviously don't need to be skipping class to get laid.

- Hangovers are NOT a good excuse to miss a class. This goes for any sort of drug binge you may encounter. You'll get all sorts of chances in life for drinking and drugs but not for a paid education. (Says one of the foremost potheads in Ivy League history.)

- Keep a regular workout/exercise routine. It will help keep you mentally sharp and only stands to make you more attractive to the opposite sex (or the same sex if you swing that way).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
- The ONLY excuse for skipping a class is because a rare opportunity for sex with a really hot girl just happens to conflict. If this happens more than once a semester, you obviously don't need to be skipping class to get laid.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
It's all about the boundaries...

apocalypse later

Reaction score
All great advice, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks guys. Just a few questions:

1. I ordered my laptop a little too late and it won't be here until the 23rd--and Orientation is from the 22nd-26th, I start classes the 27th. Will I actually need it during orientation?

2. I have to find some way to keep organized, and I can't see myself keeping track of **** with a pad of sticky notes and a calender. I was thinking of getting an old PDA or something. Can anyone comment on how they kept track of their schedule?

3. What are parties like for freshman? I heard that basically all you can do is hope to befriend a Junior/Senior or go to the first week of frat parties.

4. How do you guys fuel your clothing addiction in college :p? I think I may have to just wear what I have now and buy some AA tees every once in awhile
frown.gif

ns_guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
All great advice, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks guys. Just a few questions: 2. I have to find some way to keep organized, and I can't see myself keeping track of **** with a pad of sticky notes and a calender. I was thinking of getting an old PDA or something. Can anyone comment on how they kept track of their schedule?
Sticky notes rock. Personally, I'm not a big fan of PDAs, especially old ones (a Palm Treo is different though, since it's a lot more useful). Best thing to do if you have an aversion to paper and use your laptop a lot is to download one of the free or commercial sticky notes programs that go on your Windows desktop. Personally, I like paper "to do" lists - I get more satisfaction crossing out a done task. School agendas I never found myself using, bulky to carry and I found deadlines/tasks get shuffled a lot so the agenda just gets pushed to the next day. I just used a piece of paper, wrote out everything due, then whatever is not crossed out you rewrite on next days sheet. I'd also look into this software: http://www.abstractspoon.com/tdl_resources.html. It's freeware and is pretty awesome, if I say so myself.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, a lot of your concerns will work themselves out. Parties and social scenes vary from college to college, but if you're open-minded and friendly the first few days, you'll find yourself going to plenty of parties, if that's what you want.

I can't imagine you'd need a laptop during orientation, but times may have changed since 2002.

I didn't buy a lot of clothes in college. Find some good thrift in the area--sometimes college towns have great thrift shopping. You also don't want to be the guy who tries too hard.

On the "don't be that guy" front, pace yourself with the drinking/drugs the first week, or you'll be the guy everyone's making fun of the first Monday at lunch. This actually works to some people's advantage, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Generally, don't worry too much about things at first--all the other freshman are just starting out, too.

-don't start skipping. it's a downward spiral.
+1000

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Diorshoe...
If you see some girl go for it because you will regret it later

Also I think some people try to overwhelm themselves with a challenging schedule the FIRST semester. Some people do well but others bomb. Other people just dont do anything. I think its important that you do well the first semester and start off with a really good GPA. If you bomb your first semester or year it will be tough to come back up from it.
Also go to your classes, pay attention, and keep up with the reading. It sucks to have to read 200 pages a few days before your exam for the first time. Theres plenty of time to have a social life. As for the clothing addiction: get a desk job that lets you study. Like at the library or some security job. You can study, do your hw, and make money which you can later blow on clothing.
Also if you want to learn something read books on your own. Personally I think reading on your own about what you want is more useful than most classes...

Also I think most people screw around in the middle of the day between classes. If you used that time wisely like did some reading in between classes or some hw it would be good. That way you could get a lot done before yoru last class.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads