• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who wear 38 Short

otis

Reaction score
I think that's Ralph's size.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very possibly...which makes me wonder as to why there aren't more items in 36 / 38 Short from RL. Especially since when RL does indeed produce a 36 / 38 Short, they make one or two of them for a particular style. That's 1 or 2 company wide. Which means only 2 people will be able to purchase a particular jacket / suit if they wear 36 / 38 S. Boils my blood

Jon.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe he's a 36S Ditto above comment - he, if anyone, should understand how hard it is for smaller gentlemen, so why doesn't he stock more? That said, I love RL p.s. there's a 36S for sale on the Polo website, which I think is still too expensive: jacket p.p.s. there was a 37S RLPL navy bherringone sport jacekt on Ebay last week. $2K retail, sold for $480. I bid $475, which was the original buy it now price (I refuse to pay over buy it now) - well, someone came in and bid higher. Hope they enjoy it. I probably should have hit buy it now to begin with, but was trying to get a deal.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if Ralph Lauren were apprised of a thread such as this one. I honestly think that, after the Times article, the opinions on this board are at least moderately powerful, if not already seen by those in the industry who lurk here. Perhaps previously buyers assumed that there weren't many 36 shorts out there.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He knows you want the size, and out of self-loathing, he does it to spite others the same size as himself. Furthermore, he limits himself to buying at his own retail establishments, so he is stuck wearing silly ranchwear, as you see in pictures of him.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if Ralph Lauren were apprised of a thread such as this one. I honestly think that, after the Times article, the opinions on this board are at least moderately powerful, if not already seen by those in the industry who lurk here. Perhaps previously buyers assumed that there weren't many 36 shorts out there.
this is exactly the reason. They assume that there aren't many of this size. There are.

My mother, a clothes-a-holic if ever there was one, was asked by Neiman Marcus to attend a focus group thing for people who spend a lot of money there to be asked questions, voice concerns, etc. She asked them why on earth they don't carry ANY small sizes in the mens department - it is frequent that in Short Hills the smallest size they have in certain style will be a Medium, perhaps even a Large. They also don't really carry 38s in suits and jackets, let alone 36s. Sure enough, many of the other Chanel and St. John-clad women spoke up and said that their husbands too can't find their sizes and have to either shop in New York or have their stuff made. Stores are clearly missing out on a large chunk of the market. Well, the NM people assured them that this would change. Has it? Not a bit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idiots, I tell you. Why even pay for a focus group if you don't listen to them?

Businesses are run like such crap. If the people in charge would just come down from the ivory towers and listen to consumers for a change, things would be so much better (for instance, why is it so damn hard to find a slim fitting shirt? It isn't the case that Brooks Brothers is catering to the fat market -- their image is of preppy rowers.).

Pink22m

Reaction score
I share the frustration with you all concerning this matter. I am a 36R and I NEVER find that size when it comes to topcoats. I have not had as much of an issue with suits, although the selection is usually very limited in that size. I will give Ralph Lauren credit though for actually producing extra small's for his cashmere calble knit sweaters. I don't know of any other designer that makes an XS...yet, we go out of our way to make XXXL....how sad is that.
confused.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, he does produce sweaters in XS, albeit not many and they are almost always cashmere, never in less expensive materials. The only company I know of that consistently manufactures XS items is The GAP.

Funny, I purchased a few RLPL wool / silk / cashmere sweaters on sale and they are actually a bit tight around the sleeve whole underneath my armpits, but it fits like a glove everywhere else, odd, huh?

Jon.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps short suit sizes don't sell because many men do not want to self-identify as short. Â All over D.C. -- a town populated by many men of below-average height -- I see men wearing suit jackets that are way too long ( i.e., hem well below the end of the thumb).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps short suit sizes don't sell because many men do not want to self-identify as short. All over D.C. -- a town populated by many men of below-average height -- I see men wearing suit jackets that are way too long ( i.e., hem well below the end of the thumb).
Maybe they should reclassify the sizes: R = S, L = R, and L = XL, that would work, no? Jon.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
I'm a short guy (just under 5'8"). While it's slightly embarassing asking for smaller sizes, I'd be even more embarassed wear clothes that swamp me. I'd certainly look tiny then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads