• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those of you who get bespoke shoes, do you still buy RTW?

chatty

Reaction score
Question for you guys who get bespoke shoes. Do you find that you only get bespoke now, or do you still buy RTW shoes as well?

I know lots of guys who only do bespoke shirts / suits, but I don't know anyone that has bespoke shoes.

I ask because I just ordered my first pair of bespoke G&G's (will post pics when I get them, but won't be for another year almost since I'm in NY)...but am considering buying some RTW from the Leather Soul sale. But if you bespoke supporters say you stopped getting RTW, then maybe I'm better off saving up for another bespoke.

Thoughts?

ajv

Reaction score
I am buying less and less RTW shoes, but shoes are like air for me. Yes call me compulsive on this issue, but I still surrender to some RTW a few times a year.

Adrian

chatty

Reaction score
One more question, do you also use the same bespoke maker...or dabble in a few different brands?

Thanks again!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chatty
Do you find that you only get bespoke now, or do you still buy RTW shoes as well?

stopped buying rtw shoes many years ago, but didn't stop thrifting. so, i buy some...

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chatty
One more question, do you also use the same bespoke maker...or dabble in a few different brands?

Thanks again!

I have shoes from different makers, but the first ones were made by larger houses, and once the craftsman responsible for my shoes left, so did I.
I use the same maker for quite some years now.
I think that once you found a good bespoke maker, that understands your wishes, it is good to stay with him.

Adrian

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I think that once you found a good bespoke maker, that understands your wishes, it is good to stay with him.

Adrian

good strategy. imo, it's important, like you said, to build up a relationship with the maker...

sw20

Reaction score
Depends upon one's fit issues and opportunity costs

Am an easy fit and have too much ADD for multiple visits (esp to other cities) to obtain bespoke anything

But prefer to choose own detailing, swatches, buttons, linings, etc...and obtain a new garment or shoes not tried on by others, so have opted for MTM suits/shirts/casual clothes for many yrs (and haven't bought or worn OTR clothes in ages)

Recently converted to EG MTO for all my daily-wear shoes and have relegated my prior RTW blk loafers to rainy day fleet, until first fleet of EGs ages enough to face similar fate...but am done buying RTW shoes ever again

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
do you guys who do mostly MTM or bespoke ever miss the experience of just "'shopping", ie spending a day walking around to various stores, trying things on and seeing what fits/doesn't, hoping for that great score/deal, etc?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
do you guys who do mostly MTM or bespoke ever miss the experience of just "'shopping", ie spending a day walking around to various stores, trying things on and seeing what fits/doesn't, hoping for that great score/deal, etc?

yes, it's a waste of time.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a good RTW and Bespoke collection now...

I don't plan to buy any shoes for the next 10 years...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. And I live in New York. I can shop on one block and go around the corner for alterations. (OK, I'll got to Press for ties.) Everything else is mtm.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Nope, not at all.

I don't buy RTW shoes any longer. Not because I believe bespoke shoes are meaninfully superior to RTW shoes (as bespoke shirts and suits are), but because I buy so few shoes now that I prefer to spend the $ on a pair that is exactly how I want it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Swatches are much more fun. Plus, you get to sit in a chair to flip through them and have drinks brought to you. There are no crowds. And craftsmen are much more interesting to talk to than salespeople. I wish I could afford to get nothing but bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads