• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those of you that wear oxfords, wingtips, brogues casually.... help?

vvoc

Reaction score
hey, im going to purchase a pair of wingtips relatively soon so i could wear them casually... the thing is i live in socal, so wearing wingtips with jeans to class is a bit weird, so i just wanted ideas of places i could wear them to without seeming like im trying to hard...im just thinking clubs, nice restaurants and such...anything else would just make me seem out of place...thanks!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
You will get mocked for wearing them to class.

I wear my ndc's to places a little more chic. Yes I said chic bitches.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask, don't do it. Seriously. I would not hesitate a moment but if you don't feel comfortable with it...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
If I were you I would pimp them at parties and such, just do it for yourself **** what everyone thinks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
If I were you I would pimp them at parties and such, just do it for yourself **** what everyone thinks.
Yes. Anyways vvoc, do you only wear sports shoes/sneakers or something all the time? I would not be concerned if other people are too stuck in their own little ruts to wear something different. If you can pull it off and you feel comfortable go for it! I never wear Vans/sneakers/COnverse/etc. Boots & dress shoes (including wingtips) all the time. Of course I am not the average SW&D poster but that is my humble opinion
smile.gif

vvoc

Reaction score
lol, i usually tend to wear vans, chucks etc...unless i go to a club or something, i bust out frye boots or if i feel safe about it not getting messed up my chelsea boots...but now that im tryin to break in my apc new cures, the frye boots dont fit under the pant leg (not adventurous enough to try the tuck in look for slip on boots) and the chelsea boots aren't practical (dont want to ruin them)....

this is wear the wingtips come in...im going to buy a pair from ebay (johnston murphy crown aristocraft), planning to restore them (any help with that also would be appreciated) and wear them... i guess ill just suck it up and rock it and say **** you to whoever questions me lol

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The more beat up they are, the easier it will be to wear them with jeans and casually. I don't mean not cared for, but well worn and polished tends to look better than a brand new shiny pair of dress shoes for very casual use. And heavier construction, to a point, is usually better. You don't want those very thin soled, glued together Italian looking ones - better a little heavier English or American double-soled version, at least until you get the swing of it.

coiol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
You will get mocked for wearing them to class.

I sometimes wear dress shoes to class and I've never been mocked for anything I'm wearing. I don't think that's something you should be worried about.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear them to class, why not? You have to match it with someting like corduroys or a tweed jacket. Make it your own style.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vvoc
ya im getting a pair of johnston/murphy's so those are "american" shoes.... also they are from ebay and are used...so do you recommend i dont wash them and polish them and such? and just ride them out? thanks
No, definitely polish them. I just think it looks better if they're not pristine.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coiol
I sometimes wear dress shoes to class and I've never been mocked for anything I'm wearing. I don't think that's something you should be worried about.

Mocking is generally done behind one's back. Thinks like sneering and such are somewhat unnoticeable unless you have great perception skills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads