1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

For those in nyc

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NYCDan, Jul 12, 2004.

1. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

I'll be at The Roosevelt Hotel on Wednesday night. Having dinner at an Indian restaurant called Tabala (?).

I cannot make a Thursday night get-together unfortunately...

2. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

Hey Vero,

If your talking about Tabla on Madison Square Park on 25th street, that place has a great outdoor dining area.  I live in the neighborhood, I'll drop by and say hello if i get a chance. Too bad you cannot make it thursday, if i don't see you, i hope you have a fun stay here.

How about the rest of you guys, norcal, mike c, pete and the rest, how does Caliban sound?  Any other suggestions?

best,
    IG

3. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

That's the restaurant. See you there.? [​IMG]

4. VWpete

VWpete Senior member

I'd be all about Caliban, but I have had plans for Thurday evening for about a week. Meeting some friends I haven't seen in a LONG time. Next week anyone?

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

My flight gets into JFK around Thursday evening. I won't be able to make it then.

6. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

No worries. If this Thursday is not good, we can just postone it to next week. Same time and place unless you guys have another suggestion.

Vero, won't be able to make it to Tabla tonight. Enjoy the rest of your stay though.

Best, IG

7. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Sorry to have missed you -- we are definitely going. Drinks start at 8 PM. [​IMG]

8. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Tabla is a great restaurant. Enjoy.

9. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Any of you free for drinks this week?

Vero, what was your take on Tabla?

IG

10. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

For those interested in scheduling get-togethers, for example StyleForum get-togethers, I think that the following may be a good way to do so: http://www.meetup.com

11. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Well, I was a little disappointed. I wanted Indian food. Instead, I got more of a semblance of American food with Indian accents. We waited at the bar for about 30 minutes to get a table. When they said they were ready for us, they took us upstairs. My colleagues noted that the menu upstairs was different (and more expensive) than the menu downstairs and they liked what was on the menu downstairs better. So, we asked to be seated downstairs. More waiting. Finally, we got a table outside and had a great time. The food downstairs was a little more "Indian" and by that time, I was too drunk to care that it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. So, it was good, but it was a bit of a letdown for me.

12. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Well, I was a little disappointed. I wanted Indian food. Instead, I got more of a semblance of American food with Indian accents. We waited at the bar for about 30 minutes to get a table. When they said they were ready for us, they took us upstairs. My colleagues noted that the menu upstairs was different (and more expensive) than the menu downstairs and they liked what was on the menu downstairs better. So, we asked to be seated downstairs. More waiting. Finally, we got a table outside and had a great time. The food downstairs was a little more "Indian" and by that time, I was too drunk to care that it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. So, it was good, but it was a bit of a letdown for me.
    You were expecting real Indian food... at those prices? For some good Indian go down to 5th street and 2nd Ave; you can eat like a king for $20. You can't even get an appetizer for that at Tabla. I don't know why Tabla ever considered their food to Indian, it's boarder line ridiculous. I had the same experience when I went, but enjoyed the food for what it's worth. The downstairs part is called Bread Bar or something. I don't know why it's different. For a really good restaurant nextime go next door to Eleven Madison, which is run by the same owner as Tabla, Danny Mayer. It offers traditional american food with a hint of french cusine. It's one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

13. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

A couple of blocks down from Tabla is a little India of sorts where one can get authentic Indian food at all hours of the night. Cabs congregate there, so the food better be authentic. The neighborhood (Lex b/w 25 and 30th sts) boasts some amazing spice shops as well. Another one in the neighborhood of Tabla is Tamarind on 22nd and Park, it's pricier than the "little India" area but the food is great, and authentic, and they have a wine list that actually complements the food.

Never been to Eleven Madison, i'll be sure to check it out one of these days.

14. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Tamarind is great, so is Bukara Grill. They offer the best upscale, true Indian dining in NYC.

15. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

so....about that meeting?

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Ok, the 2004, Official Style Forum meeting will be held next monday, August 30, at Madison Square Garden.