• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those in nyc

vero_group

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any of you free for drinks this week?

Vero, what was your take on Tabla?

IG
Well, I was a little disappointed. I wanted Indian food. Instead, I got more of a semblance of American food with Indian accents. We waited at the bar for about 30 minutes to get a table. When they said they were ready for us, they took us upstairs. My colleagues noted that the menu upstairs was different (and more expensive) than the menu downstairs and they liked what was on the menu downstairs better. So, we asked to be seated downstairs. More waiting. Finally, we got a table outside and had a great time. The food downstairs was a little more "Indian" and by that time, I was too drunk to care that it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. So, it was good, but it was a bit of a letdown for me.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I was a little disappointed. I wanted Indian food. Instead, I got more of a semblance of American food with Indian accents. We waited at the bar for about 30 minutes to get a table. When they said they were ready for us, they took us upstairs. My colleagues noted that the menu upstairs was different (and more expensive) than the menu downstairs and they liked what was on the menu downstairs better. So, we asked to be seated downstairs. More waiting. Finally, we got a table outside and had a great time. The food downstairs was a little more "Indian" and by that time, I was too drunk to care that it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. So, it was good, but it was a bit of a letdown for me.
You were expecting real Indian food... at those prices? For some good Indian go down to 5th street and 2nd Ave; you can eat like a king for $20. You can't even get an appetizer for that at Tabla. I don't know why Tabla ever considered their food to Indian, it's boarder line ridiculous. I had the same experience when I went, but enjoyed the food for what it's worth. The downstairs part is called Bread Bar or something. I don't know why it's different. For a really good restaurant nextime go next door to Eleven Madison, which is run by the same owner as Tabla, Danny Mayer. It offers traditional american food with a hint of french cusine. It's one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

SwaG

Reaction score
A couple of blocks down from Tabla is a little India of sorts where one can get authentic Indian food at all hours of the night. Cabs congregate there, so the food better be authentic. The neighborhood (Lex b/w 25 and 30th sts) boasts some amazing spice shops as well. Another one in the neighborhood of Tabla is Tamarind on 22nd and Park, it's pricier than the "little India" area but the food is great, and authentic, and they have a wine list that actually complements the food.

Never been to Eleven Madison, i'll be sure to check it out one of these days.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tamarind is great, so is Bukara Grill. They offer the best upscale, true Indian dining in NYC.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, the 2004, Official Style Forum meeting will be held next monday, August 30, at Madison Square Garden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads